Finance & Facilities - 1st Thursday, 5:00pm, McLain Building

Committee Members

 
Agendas/Minutes (2017-2018)
 

 

Agenda for 02/09/10

Agenda RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Feb 9th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Old Business

 

·       Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School

·       Facility Audit Update – Progress

·       State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

·       Bus Garage Move Update

·       Progress on Many Flags Application.

·       Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

New Business

 

·       Appears there is a $3,000,000 shortfall instead of $2,500,000. And the state is trying to reduce subsidy for Medicaid reimbursement we receive, which is another $200,000.

·       MacDougal School – Usage Options

·       Committee Goals – Update

·       Discuss double bus runs for next year.

·       Maintenance Projects for next year’s budget

 

Next meeting: Tuesday Mar 9th 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

Agenda for 9/8/09

 

Agenda - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Sept 8th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Judy Lucarelli

 Jim Kalloch

 

 John Spear

 George Emery

 

 Scott Hall

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT: xx:xx pm

 Todd Johnston

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

Review and make changes to this agenda.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Goal for 2010 – Facilities Audit

Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software

Discuss what are the roles, responsibilities and objectives for the F&T committee this coming year. Any changes?

Update bus parking at RDHS

Update status of two new buses that are on order.

Update replacement of bus involved in accident last April

Review summer maintenance projects/activities

Update MacDougal School boiler and other safety improvements.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q Next meeting: Tuesday Oct 13th

 

 

 

 

Date, Topic TBD

q Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for April 13, 2010

 

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
April 13th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:xx pm

Time OUT: x:xx pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

Old Business

 

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School
    2 - Zone fans were sent with were wrong for the mounting brackets we have.  We are seeing if we can make due.  2 – Roof fans seem to be missing in transit. 

 

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

Hope is by the May Meeting we will have a status report and by the May meeting Scott, Peter and Judy will have a draft. 

 

 

  • Bus Radio License Status


  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software and use of double bus runs next year.

 

  • MacDougal School – Progress if any.

 

  • RDHS – Electrical Issues

 

  • Changes in Budgeted Maint. Projects; if any

 

  • Committee Goals – Update

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

New Business

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday May 11th 

 

 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for December 8, 2009

 

Agenda - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Dec 8th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear ???

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT:  x:xx pm

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

q  Old Business

 

q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings. John has located 10 studies and will be soliciting input from principals concerning facility shortcomings from a programmatic perspective.  With all that is going on his is not as far along as he would like to have been.

q  Progress on Bus Garage Lease.

q  Progress on availability of the Transportation Software.

 

 

 

q  New Business

q  Discuss setting up a Fuel Cost Stabilization fund for this coming year’s budget.

q  Update on where we stand with the Construction Applications.

q  Progress on Many Flags Application.

q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 



 

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Jan 12th

 

Tentative:  Discuss setting up a Fuel Cost Stabilization fund for this coming year’s budget.

Update on where we stand with the Construction Appl

Update on where we stand with the facilities Audit.

Progress on Many Flags Application.

Progress on Buss Garage Lease.

Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

q  Tentative:

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

q   

 

 

Agenda for January 12, 2010

 

DRAFT - Agenda RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Jan 12th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

Time IN: 5:xx pm

Time OUT:  6:xx pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

Old Business

 

q  Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School


q  MacDougal School Update. What about Broad Reach tenent?


q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Contracted with John Spear for assistance with the Facility Audit and Construction Applications.   


q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

q  Progress on Bus Garage Move


q  Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

 

q  Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

Judy has talked with Jim Rier at DHS and requested that we have the software in February.  He agrees and Judy will pursue

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

New Business

q  Report on what the High School Study Group has for findings and recommendations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday Feb 08th 

 



 

 

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School

  • MacDougal School Update.

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress

  • State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

 

  • Bus Garage Move Update

  • Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

.

 

 

Agenda for June 8, 2010

 

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
June 8th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:xx pm

Time OUT: x:xx pm

 Steve Dyer

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

Old Business

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School. Are the two Transfer Fans in?

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules.  Due June 15th

 

  • Bus Radio License Status - Update
    Last we heard we had passed the paper hurdles. However, due to backlogs in could be another 2-3 weeks before we get the licenses, 

 

  • Update on the Transportation Software

  • MacDougal School – Progress/Update.

 

  • Electrical Issues - We will be reviewing the alarms systems in Gilford Butler and Owls Head schools.

 

  • Committee Goals – Update We need to define what it is we want to report to the board for our goals for next year. 

  • Year End Report to the Board

 

 

 

 

 

New Business

 

·         Do we need a July or Aug Meeting?

·         Use of double bus runs next year and the effect on School Start times and the communication of same (Board and Public)

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday ????

 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Agenda for March 9, 2010

 

Agenda RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Feb 9th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

Time IN: 5:xx pm

Time OUT:  6:xx pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

Old Business

 

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress

  • State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

 

  • Bus Garage Move Update

  • Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

New Business

 

 

  • Appears there is a $3,000,000 shortfall instead of $2,500,000.  And the state is trying to reduce subsidy for Medicaid reimbursement we receive, which is another $200,000.

  • MacDougal School – Usage Options

 

  • Committee Goals – Update

 

  • Discuss double bus runs for next year.

 

  • Maintenance Projects for next year’s budget

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday Mar 9th 

 



 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

.

 

 

Agenda for November 10, 2009

Agenda - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Nov 10th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfield

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT:  X:xx pm

 Tess Kilgour,

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

New Business

 

q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings

q  Update on repairs and new boiler at MacDougal. New boiler is operational. Electrical work complete. Still need to get approved BGS roof shovel program in place.

q  Update Bus Parking – Last time it was suggested we go slower and review our options more closely. An Option: May have a proposal for space on Eltee Circle in Thomaston (off  Dexter Street Ext in Thomaston) to review and discuss.

 

q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

 

q  Square Footage of RDMS Reported in Error – Last Spring F & T was given and reported the square footage of the RDMS at 128,000 square feet, when in fact it has now been verified that it is actually 53,377. While this has not resulted in any decisions being affected it did lead to under reporting the cost per square foot for this building back in April.

Bus Lease/Purchase for 2010/2011 the forms need to be in to the state by 11/25. Judy suggests that we may want to submit multiple requests to keep open possibility to procure, with state assistance, enough buses to implement “single runs” on a RSU wide basis. We can always withdraw applications at a later date, but can’t submit additional requests after the deadline.

 

 

 

 

OLD Business

q  Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software. Still on track for between Christmas vacation and February.

 

q  Fuel Tanks – Four tanks on the east side failed inspection.  One will have a temp fix with a boot over certain pipes (approx $2k). One has to have all the piping replaced (Building to tank approx $10k) and the other two will need to be budgeted this coming year.  Good news is none of the tanks are leaking. 

q  Discuss proposal for a memorial Skate Park at Guilford Butler from South Thomaston parent. We asked for a simple site plan (Plot the estimated 60 by 70 foot square on one of our site maps). The parents and select person will follow up on insurance, plot plan, and a review by Scott Hall to make sure it will not interfere with any school operations (Wells, septic, plowing, etc.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If available and ready

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Dec 8th

 

 

Topic TBD

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Agenda for October 13, 2009

Agenda - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Oct 13th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfield

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:00 pm

Time OUT:  pm

 Paul Dostie

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

New Business

 

q  Discuss proposal for Skate Park from South Thomaston parent.

q  Update on Repairs at MacDougal

 

 

 

 

OLD Business

q  Goal for 2010 – Facilities Audit - Judy, Scott, and John to get together to discuss what it is we want out of the Facilities Audit and what activities need to be addressed to get there.

q  Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software

Latest word is the software is available for piloting.  We did not volunteer.  I am hoping it will be available for staff to set it up over Xmas vacation.  But it may be Feb.

 

q  Update bus parking RDHS – Last time it was suggested  we go slower and review our options more closely rather than push to move right now.  Need to re-consider Traffic Patterns, Snow Removal, Radios vs Phones and obtain any permits needed and analyze costs. We are exploring other bus yard options.  Assuming we do not have the cash to take care of this during 09-10 at this point.

 

q  Update status of two new buses. Buses have been delivered.  Financing will be going to Finance Cmt on the 8th, and the Board on the 5th.

 

q  Update replacement of bus involved in accident last April along with the radio replacement.

q  Update on Underground Fuel Tanks, Water main valve, Sprinkler, and The Food Service Truck. - We are working on RDHS oil tanks.  Water main went OK at MacDougal. Sprinkler being reconnected. And I think we found a FS vehicle used.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Nov 10th

 

 

Topic TBD – Could be start talks about construction possibilities.

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Goals of the Facilities and Transportation Committee

 

Facility Planning - Physical Plant; Building, Structures

Perform a Facilities Audit of all 11 buildings including an evaluation of staffing patterns.  This is the basis / base line for a Facilities Capital Plan for the RSU.   As we proceed we will also propose and Review Cost Savings Ideas - projects and Ideas.

 

  

Transportation

Implement State Transportation Software as soon as practical.  Included in this is defining a working solution for:

 

(i)   Determining the best start and end times for schools as it relates to transportation and proposed curriculum.

(ii)  Evaluate staffing patterns

(iii) Determine Single vs. Double Bus Runs

(iv)  Most Efficient Bus Routes taking into consideration:

a)    Student Densities

b)    Number of buses needed (including bus size)

c)    Evaluating using Van or wagons when deemed appropriate

d)    Determining a walking plan

e)    Determine number and location of clustered bus stops

f)    Determine efficient number of students per bus run

 

MacDougal Boiler

MacDougal School Improvements- Worksheet    
               
Boiler   112,651          
Fire Alarm   11,515          
  Subtotal   124,166        
Exit/Emergency Lights   4,000          
Electrical Upgrades   21,000          
Temp Hot Water   2,000          
Engineer, General Report   8,891          
Engineer, Boiler RFP   1,600          
Asbestos Tests/Removal   411          
Replumbing Dishwasher   ????          
Other   ????          
  Subtotal   37,902        
  Total     162,068      
  Less Budget/Tubes/Condensate    -19,000        
  Contingency Need   18,902        
               
               
               
               
  Lease Purchase 124,349- 2yrs@ 3.25%   Total Prin Int    
  Year 1 & Contingency Need   63,170 63,170 0    
  Year 2   63,170 61,180 1,990    
  Total   126,340 124,350 1,990    
               
               
  Total 09/10 Contingency Need    82,072        
               
               
  Note: Some numbers are still estimates            
               
               

Minutes for April 13, 2010

 

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
April 13th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT: 6:22 pm

 Brian Messing

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

Old Business

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School
    2 - Zone fans were sent with were wrong for the mounting brackets we have.  We are seeing if we can make due.  2 – Roof fans seem to be missing in transit. 

 

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

Hope is by the May Meeting we will have a status report and by the May meeting Scott, Peter and Judy will have a draft. 

 

 

  • Bus Radio License Status

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software and use of double bus runs next year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • MacDougal School – Progress if any.

 

  • RDHS – Electrical Issues

 

 

 

 

 

  • Changes in Budgeted Maint. Projects; if any

 

  • Committee Goals – Update

 

 

2 Roof fans are in and working.  The two zone fans are no longer being manufactured.  As such we are looking for one to fit our existing hardware.  More detail to follow.

 

 

Will have a first draft for the May Meeting. There will be 4 applications (GVHS, Gilford, Owls Head, and RDHS) that are due to the state by June 15th.

 

Scott and Todd are working with Linwood Lanthrop of the Knox county Emergency Mgt office. He is helping us merge our SAD 5 expired license with our current working SAD 50 license applications which then needs to go to the FCC. We don’t foresee any issues.  However, by the year end 2012 all Broadband radios, which is what we have, need to modified or replaced to narrow bands; including the license with the FCC. Many radios that are newer than 7 years maybe narrowband capable and will only need to be reprogrammed, not replaced.  For those that need replacing we may be able to ride coat tails on the Knox County Emergency Management Agency and State volume purchasing agreements. More to follow.

 

We have started just in time!  Bruce Johnson on networking, Joseph Knight on data entry Todd Johnston and Scott Hall have started the ten week training.  Each has expressed concern regarding implementing this in any short time period.  Besides the 10 weeks of training “all” student addresses must be entered/converted to physical not mailing addresses. Ergo the secretaries for each building must update or correct faulty physical addresses in the Infinite Campus (IC) software. Thereafter, Joseph will then import these addresses into the transportation system as soon as possible.(No small task).  In the mean time we are tidying up the double bus runs for both sides. We will need to establish both walker zones (policy) and bus stops (Mgt) by this fall.

 

 

NNTR (Nothing New to Report)

 

60-70% of the issues have been mitigated by replacing those faulty configurations with one surge protector per extension cord.  Our electrician is looking at the rest of the issues. 

 

 

NNTR

 

 

At some point we will want to define what it is we want to report to the board at year end. 

 

 

New Business

 

·         Bus Inspections:  25 out of our 28 buses were inspected by the State.  All but one passed inspection with that one being fixed that same day.  The three remaining buses that were on duty that day will be scheduled for inspection.

·         RSU13 State Safety Inspection:  We will mail by the April 21st our final report on fixes that will be done / due by 4/15.  It will be close but we expect to have it all done on time.

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday May 11th 

 

 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes for January 12, 2010

 

Minutes RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Jan 12th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Facility Audit Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:25 pm

Time OUT:  6:35 pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

Old Business

 

q  Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School


 

 

 

q  MacDougal School Update. What about Broad Reach tenent?


q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Contracted with John Spear for assistance with the Facility Audit and Construction Applications.   


q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

q  Progress on Bus Garage Move


q  Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

 

q  Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

Judy has talked with Jim Rier at DHS and requested that we have the software in February.  He agrees and Judy will pursue

 

 

 

Thayer Corp. – Found two Roof fan motors that need to be replaced. They also discovered 7 transfer fans not covered by a contract.  We plan on doing the two roof motors and 3 of the 7 transfer plans now and budget for the rest.

 

 

After the Rockland Voting Judy will meet again with them to discuss options – March


John has been tied up with the Many Flags and bargaining  as such NNTR on the construction applications and
Facility Audit.

 

 

 

 

 

Moving in, working on the Bus Plugs and Base Radio licensing from SAD’s to RSU13.

All are working on meeting the deadlines for the application due in February. 

NNTR (Nothing new to report)

 

 

New Business

q  Report on what the High School Study Group has for findings and recommendations.

 

 

 

Now that we have one location for the buses it is imperative we get the State Transportation software working (Feb) so as to run possible plans. 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday Feb 9th 

 



 

 

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress

  • State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

 

  • Bus Garage Move Update

  • Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

  • Maintenance Projects for 2010/2011

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

.

 

 

Minutes for November 10, 2009

 

 Minutes - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Nov 10th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT:  7:04 pm

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

New Business

 

q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings

q  Update on repairs and new boiler at MacDougal. New boiler is operational. Electrical work complete. Still need to get approved Bureau of General Services (BGS) roof shovel program in place.

q  Update Bus Parking – Last time it was suggested we go slower and review our options more closely. An Option: May have a proposal for space on Eltee Circle in Thomaston (off  Dexter Street Ext in Thomaston) to review and discuss.




 

 




q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q  Square Footage of RDMS Reported in Error – Last Spring F & T was given and reported the square footage of the RDMS at 128,000 square feet, when in fact it has now been verified that it is actually 53,377. While this has not resulted in any decisions being affected it did lead to under reporting the cost per square foot for this building back in April.

q  Bus Lease/Purchase for 2010/2011 the forms need to be in to the state by 11/25. Judy suggests that we may want to submit multiple requests to keep open possibility to procure, with state assistance, enough buses to implement “single runs” on a RSU wide basis. We can always withdraw applications at a later date, but can’t submit additional requests after the deadline.

 

 

 

John has located 10 studies and will be soliciting input from principals concerning facility shortcomings from a programmatic perspective.  With all that is going on his is not as far along as he would like to have been.

 

 

Few small items left to do; Ceiling and intake dampers, piping to drain, replumbing dishwasher, and the removal of the temporary heat trailer.

 

Crew is reviewing a proposed lease option for almost 4,000 sq foot Maintenance and Transportation facility at 25 Elltree Cricle in Thomaston. Centrally located to both the old SAD5 and SAD50.  Committee approved the concept to write up the proposal for the board and Finance committee outlining the pro’s and con’s of such a lease.  Also will check into the possibility of a lease purchase.  Much of the up front costs will be paid for by not doing certain budgeted maintenance.  Greg to inform and update the Finance Committee.


Applications for the Integrated, Consolidated,
9-12 Education Facilities (Many Flags) are due March 15th.  Applications for the Major Capital Improvement Program are due June 15th and it’s a full time job to build and submit.   Even if you apply there are four critical milestones needed out of 21 steps.  Milestone two, concept approvals, is currently scheduled for 2012 and 2013.  This process can take years to get approved (Some were 12-15 years out). Since each application has common data we will submit several applications in order to get them into the pipeline.  This doesn’t obligate us in any way. However, missing this deadline that could leave you waiting until 2011 or beyond to try again.

 

High school maybe off as much as 50k square feet as well.  We have been reporting 135k and it may be closer to 85k.

 

 

 

 

 

Since we have not determined which type of bus runs (single vs. double runs) are best for this RSU13 it is best to apply for six new busses / funding and then turn them down if not needed.  Again this doesn’t obligate us in any way but it will limit our options if we don’t apply.

 

OLD Business

q  Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software.

 

 

q  Fuel Tanks – Four tanks on the east side failed inspection.  One will have a temp fix with a boot over certain pipes (approx $2k). One has to have all the piping replaced (Building to tank approx $10k) and the other two will need to be budgeted this coming year.  Good news is none of the tanks are leaking. 

q  Discuss proposal for a memorial Skate Park at Guilford Butler from South Thomaston parent. We asked for a simple site plan (Plot the estimated 60 by 70 foot square on one of our site maps). The parents and select person will follow up on insurance, plot plan, and a review by Scott Hall to make sure it will not interfere with any school operations (Wells, septic, plowing, etc.)

 

 

 

Still on track for between Christmas vacation and February.

 

Reaffirmed that we will to budget for the remaining two tanks n the coming year.   No further discussion is needed.

 

 

 

 

Penny Alley and Pam Paqutte returned with an aerial photo of the proposed site of the skate park drawn in.  Both sides checked with their insurance companies which both didn’t have any issues with the proposal.  It was made clear this is a town responsibility to maintain. The committee approved taking this to the board as a proposal for a 5 year lease with the option to renew.

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Dec 8th

 

 

Tentative:

 

  • Discuss setting up a Fuel Cost Stabilization fund for this coming years budget.
  • Update on where we stand with the Construction Applications.
  • Update on where we stand with the facilities Audit.
  • Progress on Many Flags Application.
  • Progress on Buss Garage Lease.
  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software.

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Minutes for October 13, 2009

Minutes - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Oct 13th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfield

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT:  7:15 pm

 Tess Kilgour,

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

New Business

 

q  Discuss proposal for a memorial Skate Park from South Thomaston parent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



q  Update on Repairs at MacDougal Boiler

 

 

Parents and Select Person (Penny Alley) of South Thomaston presented.  General feeling was this was a good use of the land. Funding would be via the town and private donations.  Since time is on everyone side we asked for a simple site plan (Plot the estimated 60 by 70 foot square on one of our site maps). The Parents and Select Person will follow up on insurance, plot plan, and a review by Scott Hall to make sure it will not interfere with any school operations (Wells, septic, plowing, etc.)

 

 

Even with a slow start the repairs at MacDougal are ahead of schedule. Have discovered some issues with where the chimney goes through the roof but nothing major.

 

OLD Business

q  Goal for 2010 – Facilities Audit - Judy, Scott, and John to get together to discuss what it is we want out of the Facilities Audit and what activities need to be addressed to get there.

 

 



q  Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software

Latest word is the software is available for piloting.  We did not volunteer.  I am hoping it will be available for staff to set it up over Christmas vacation.  But it may be Feb.

 

 

q  Update bus parking RDHS – Last time it was suggested  we go slower and review our options more closely rather than push to move right now.  Need to re-consider Traffic Patterns, Snow Removal, Radios vs Phones and obtain any permits needed and analyze costs. We are exploring other bus yard options.  Assuming we do not have the cash to take care of this during 09-10 at this point.

 

q  Update status of two new buses. Buses have been delivered.  Financing will be going to Finance Cmt on the 8th, and the Board on the 5th.

 

 

 

 

q  Update replacement of bus involved in accident last April along with the radio replacement.



q  Update on Underground Fuel Tanks, Water main valve, Sprinkler, and The Food Service Truck. - We are working on RDHS oil tanks.  Water main went OK at MacDougal. Sprinkler being reconnected. And I think we found a FS vehicle used.

 

 

Discussed our expectations.  Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings. 

 

 

Still on track for between Christmas vacation and February.

 

 

 

 

No decision yet.  Folks still want a one bus location / solution.  Just what and where that would be needs more study. 

 

 

 

 

 

Both buses are operational with one on the east and one on the west side.  Now it’s critical we get the 3 year lease approved within 60 days so as not to lose the lease purchase option.

 

 

 

The replacement bus in now in service.  We did get the radio out of the old bus without incident.

 

 

In general all is going well considering all that was found.  Alarms are working, electrical panel is in,  emergency lights are in, we disabled a range top, and drafts / vents are being worked to get better ventilation in the short term.

 

Fuel Tanks – Four tanks on the east side failed inspection.  One will have a temp fix with a boot over certain pipes (approx $2k). One has to have all the piping replaced (Building to tank approx $10k) and the other two will need to be budgeted this coming year.  Good news is none of the tanks are leaking. 

 

Water Main – Replacement went well.

 

Sprinkler in the basement at McLain was reconnected.

 

Food Service Truck was replaced with a used 2002 U-Haul truck with about 64k miles on it for a price of $13.5k  Everyone involved is happy with the solution.

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Nov 10th

 

 

Topic TBD – Skate Board Park, Could be start talks about construction possibilities.

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Minutes for September 8, 2009

Minutes - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Sept 8th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfield

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT: 6:45 pm

 Paul Dostie

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

None

q  Goal for 2010 – Facilities Audit




q  Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software

q  Discuss what are the roles, responsibilities and objectives for the F&T committee this coming year.  Any Changes?

q  Update bus parking RDHS

 

 

 

 

q  Update status of two new buses that are on order.

 

 

 

q  Update replacement of bus involved in accident last April





q  Review summer maintenance activities

 

q  Update MacDougal School boiler and other safety improvements.

 

 

 

Judy, Scott, and John to get together to discuss what it is we want out of the Facilities Audit and what activities need to be addressed to get there.

 

Waiting on the State – Probably closer to Mid Year

 

None

 

Suggest we go slower and review our options more closely rather than push to move right now.  Need to re-consider Traffic Patterns, Snow Removal, Radios vs Phones and obtain any permits needed and Analyze costs.

 

The two new buses should be operational in about 3-4 weeks.  They are due at dealer next week but more work, like lettering, is needed to become operational.

 

The replacement bus is at Oconnor’s (the vendor). We need to discuss with the attorney if prudent to remove radio at this time. In the mean time we will use another radio or purchase one of two budgeted. 

 

Scott Hall reviewed his list of summer projects.

(Attached)

 

John Spear reviewed his draft MacDougal School worksheet that will be going to Finance.

(Attached)  Key was we need to use about $82k from contingency to pay for the work at the school.  $19k for all the Misc Work (Fire Alarm, electrical, Lighting, hot water etc) and $63k for the first year of two year lease for the new boiler. 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Oct 13th

 

 

Topic TBD but maybe the Facilities Audit

Others topics under investigation: Underground Fuel Tanks, Water main valve, Sprinkler, and The Food Service Truck.

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Minutes from June 8, 2010

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
June 8th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT: 6:30 pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

Old Business

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School. Are the Four Transfer Fans in?

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules.  Due June 15th

 

  • Bus Radio License Status - Update
    Last we heard we had passed the paper hurdles. However, due to backlogs in could be another 2-3 weeks before we get the licenses, 

 

  • Update on the Transportation Software

 

 

  • MacDougal School – Progress/Update.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Electrical Issues - We will be reviewing the Fire alarms systems in Gilford Butler and Owls Head schools.


 

Nothing New to Report (NNTR)

 

Updated copy was presented.  Essentially the same as reported at the board meeting with minor changes. Note: This Four page format replaces the multi sheet formats used earlier.

 

We have a temporary license with plans on getting the final permanent one around September.

 

 

 

Not Much New to Report (NMNTR) Week 10 was this past Friday June 4th.  Joe knight is working the “Infinite Campus” to “Transfinder” data entry issues and Scott Hall is working the Diver, Bus, Age, and Capacity entries. 

 

The bidding and acceptance went to Allied Movers / Fox and Ginn for $10,800.  This was under our budget by $1,900.  Boxes, tape and labels will be supplied and will be on site Monday June 14th for teachers to pack.  The move will be the week of July 19th

 

We are all set to do as a summer project.  One building will be done as soon as practical.  The other will wait just a bit to see “if” we can save a couple of thousand by pulling the equipment out of MacDougal.

New Business

·         Use of double bus runs next year and the effect on School Start times and the communication of same (Board and Public)









 

 

 

 




·         Maine LabPack, Inc. Chemical Facility Audit Results for the West Side.

















·         Department of Labor Audit results and feedback.  








 

 

 

 

 

 







 

  • Committee Goals – Update - We need to define what it is we want to report to the board for our goals for next year. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Year End Report to the Board

 

·         Do we need a July or Aug Meeting?

 

 

 

 

Judy passed out a “draft” working copy of the proposed bus runs for next year with start times of 7:30 am for higher grades and 8:30 am for lower.  Todd and Scott are working on what needs to happen on the west side in order to have double bus runs.  What was heard at the last Board meeting is that the board wants input into this discussion and a meeting will be held in June for a decision by July 1st.  Key factors and timing include Pre-School supervision, Clustered bus stops, and walking zones. Much of which will be the following year.  However the board needs to have a very clear understanding of what and why we are doing so as to support and communicate to each respective community. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The West side uses and prepaid last year Maine LabPack, Inc. to perform its Chemical Audits.  They have done so and submitted its results.  The East side was unaware of such Audit or they would have done the same.  Overall the results are very satisfactory with a few issue that need correction:

GVHS: Most were written up for some liquids that needed labeling, MSDS sheets that needed updating and some chemicals that have expired and should be disposed of as hazardous waste.  St. George:  All area were Satisfactory.  Thomaston Grammar: One chemical was found that did not have a MSDS sheet. A washing system “seems” to not been used and cleaning agent s/b removed.  The Maintenance shed needs a lock as it is a storage area. Some chemicals were found to dated and s/b removed.  Laura Libby:  All Satisfactory except one fire extinguisher was missing its maintenance tag. Lastly, Cushing: All areas were Satisfactory. 

 

On 12/16/2009 the Dept of Labor performed a four day inspection as outlined by OSHA.  They subsequently sent a report received January 6th 2010 outlining their findings.  All Items must be and were corrected by the April 15th deadline. Citations had to be posted in those locations where they were found and then corrected.  Examples of some infractions: Garage: Documented inspection of Hydraulic Jacks, Missing or improper shield guards, Welding rod sticks when not in use should not be in the welder. Central Office:  Extension cords should not be used as permanent wiring. Many of the electrical issues throughout were presented to the board as issues being addressed.  Five of the citations came with Penalties adding up to $5k that may be waved based on the cost of fixing said citations. Peter Roche will be going to Augusta next Tuesday June 15th to present out case for such waiver. Those included proper documentation of Hepatitis shots, Annual Training of employees with exposure, having a written Chemical Hygiene Plan, Lack of a written Hazard communications plan. Last of a written plan on use of respirators specific to the work place. 

 

 

Folks should be thinking about out 2010-2011 goals: Some might be: 

(*) Making the Transportation software program Operational and effective.

(*) Building a five year capital Plan outlining those larger capital outlays like; Roof, Boilers, parking lots, Energy Audits, etc.

(*) Follow-up on any State Construction Applications
(*) Site visit by the committee in August.

 

 

Greg will put something together. 

 

 

Yes in July

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday July 13th

 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Minutes from June 8, 2010

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
June 8th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT: 6:30 pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

Old Business

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School. Are the Four Transfer Fans in?

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules.  Due June 15th

 

  • Bus Radio License Status - Update
    Last we heard we had passed the paper hurdles. However, due to backlogs in could be another 2-3 weeks before we get the licenses, 

 

  • Update on the Transportation Software

 

 

  • MacDougal School – Progress/Update.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Electrical Issues - We will be reviewing the Fire alarms systems in Gilford Butler and Owls Head schools.


 

Nothing New to Report (NNTR)

 

Updated copy was presented.  Essentially the same as reported at the board meeting with minor changes. Note: This condensed four page format replaces the multi sheet formats used earlier.

 

We have a temporary license with plans on getting the final permanent one around September.

 

 

 

Not Much New to Report (NMNTR) Week 10 was this past Friday June 4th.  Joe knight is working the “Infinite Campus” to “Transfinder” data entry issues and Scott Hall is working the Diver, Bus, Age, and Capacity entries. 

 

The bidding and acceptance went to Allied Movers / Fox and Ginn for $10,800.  This was under our budget by $1,900.  Boxes, tape and labels will be supplied and will be on site Monday June 14th for teachers to pack.  The move will be the week of July 19th

 

We are all set to do as a summer project.  One building will be done as soon as practical.  The other will wait just a bit to see “if” we can save a couple of thousand by pulling the equipment out of MacDougal.

New Business

·         Use of double bus runs next year and the effect on School Start times and the communication of same (Board and Public)









 

 

 

 




·         Maine LabPack, Inc. Chemical Facility Audit Results for the West Side.
















·         Department of Labor Audit results and feedback.  








 

 

 

 

 

 




 

 

 

 

 




 



 

  • Committee Goals – Update - We need to define what it is we want to report to the board for our goals for next year. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·         Do we need a July or Aug Meeting?

 

  • Year End Report to the Board

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Judy passed out a “draft” working copy of the proposed bus runs for next year with start times of 7:30 am for higher grades and 8:30 am for lower.  Todd and Scott are working on what needs to happen on the west side in order to have double bus runs.  What was heard at the last Board meeting is that the board wants input into this discussion and a meeting will be held in June for a decision by July 1st.  Key factors and timing include Pre-School supervision, Clustered bus stops, and walking zones. Much of which will be the following year.  However the board needs to have a very clear understanding of what and why we are doing so as to support and communicate to each respective community. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The West side uses and prepaid last year Maine LabPack, Inc. to perform its Chemical Audits.  They have done so and submitted its results.  The East side was unaware of such Audit or they would have done the same.  Overall the results are very satisfactory with a few issue that need correction:  GVHS: Most were written up for some liquids that needed labeling, MSDS sheets that needed updating and some chemicals that have expired and should be disposed of as hazardous waste.  St. George:  All area were Satisfactory.  Thomaston Grammar: One chemical was found that did not have a MSDS sheet. A washing system “seems” to not been used and cleaning agent s/b removed.  The Maintenance shed needs a lock as it is a storage area. Some chemicals were found to dated and s/b removed.  Laura Libby:  All Satisfactory except one fire extinguisher was missing its maintenance tag. Lastly, Cushing: All areas were Satisfactory. 

 

On 12/16/2009 the Dept of Labor performed a four day inspection as outlined by OSHA. It’s my understanding that this hasn’t happened in over ten years.   They subsequently sent a report received January 6th, 2010 outlining their findings.  All Items must be and were corrected by the April 15th deadline. F&T did note in it’s minutes of 4/13/10 that: “RSU13 State Safety Inspection:  We will mail by the April 21st our final report on fixes that will be done / due by 4/15.  It will be close but we expect to have it all done on time.”  As a result of the Audit citations had to be posted in those locations where they were found and then corrected.  Examples of some infractions: Garage: Documented inspection of Hydraulic Jacks, Missing or improper shield guards, Welding rod sticks when not in use should not be in the welder. Central Office:  Extension cords should not be used as permanent wiring. Many of the electrical issues throughout were presented to the board as issues being addressed. What was not known until recently, this meeting, was that five of the citations came with Penalties adding up to $5k that may be waved based on the cost of fixing said citations. Peter Roche will be going to Augusta next Tuesday June 15th to present out case for such waiver. Those citations were for improper documentation of Hepatitis shots, lack of Annual Training of employees with exposure, not having a written Chemical Hygiene Plan, Lack of a written Hazard communications plan. Lack of a written plan on use of respirators specific to the work place. 

 

 

Folks should be thinking about out 2010-2011 goals: Some might be: 

(*) Making the Transportation software program Operational and effective.

(*) Building a five year capital Plan outlining those larger capital outlays like; Roof, Boilers, parking lots, Energy Audits, etc.

(*) Follow-up on any State Construction Applications
(*) Site visit by the committee in August.

 

 

Yes in July

 

 

 

General consensus was we did meet our goals where those goals were not were not hampered by the state.

 

Facility Planning - Physical Plant; Building, Structures

Perform a Facilities Audit of all 11 buildings including an evaluation of staffing patterns.  This is the basis / base line for a Facilities Capital Plan for the RSU.   We subsequently presented four  Capital Plans for consideration by the state. 

 

Transportation

Implement State Transportation Software as soon as practical. (This is what held us up)  Included in this is defining a working solution for:

 

(i)     Determining the best start and end times for schools as it relates to transportation and proposed curriculum.

(ii)    Evaluate staffing patterns

(iii)   Determine Single vs. Double Bus Runs

(iv)  Most Efficient Bus Routes taking into consideration:

a)             Student Densities

b)            Number of buses needed (including bus size)

c)             Evaluating using Van or wagons when deemed appropriate

d)            Determining a walking plan

e)             Determine number and location of clustered bus stops

f)             Determine efficient number of students per bus run

Due to the timing of getting the software most of the above is still a work in progress (WIP).

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday July 13th

 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes from May 11, 2010

 

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
May 11th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT: 7:30 pm

 Steve Dyer

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

Old Business

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School

 

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules

 

 

 

 

 

  • Bus Radio License Status

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software and use of double bus runs next year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • MacDougal School – Progress if any.

 

 

 

  • Electrical Issues

 

 

 

  • Committee Goals – Update

 

 

 

2 Roof fans are in and working.  The two zone Transfer fans are no longer being manufactured.  As such we are looking for one to fit our existing hardware. 

 

 

Lion’s share of the meeting was going over the four Construction Applications (OHCS, GVHS, Gilford Butler, and RDHS) and all Building Audits format/handouts.  The purpose was to get familiar with the materials.  Members were asked to review and report back anything they might question or change. These applications are due to the state by June 15th.

 

 

Linwood Lanthrop of the Knox county Emergency Mgt office, reported to Scott and Todd that we have passed the paper hurdles. However, due to backlogs in could be another 2-3 weeks before we get the licenses,  Reminder that by the year end 2012 all Broadband radios, which is what we have, need to modified or replaced to narrow band. Radios that are newer than 7 years maybe narrowband capable and will only need to be reprogrammed and not replaced. If we need any we will be looking to ride coat tails on the Knox County Emergency Management Agency and State volume purchasing agreements.

 

 

We are about half way through the ten week training process.  Joe knight in particular seems to think this is a good piece of software seems more upbeat about it.  However, out of the 2,200 kids we have we still have some 200+ kids without physical addresses within the existing “Infinite Campus” software.  Once that software is updated it is believed we can move it to the Transportation Software called “Transfinder”. From there we can add additional parameters like drivers, bus information (Capacity, Age, Cost, etc.), and Google a maps.

 

Updating the Infinite Campus (IC) will be the respective secretaries for each building.  In the mean time we are tidying up the double bus runs for both sides. We will establish both walker zones (policy) and bus stops (Mgt) by this fall.

 

 

NNTR (Nothing New to Report) the pre-school group is still interested. 

 

 

 

 

We will be reviewing the alarms systems in Gilford Butler and Owls Head schools.

 

 

We will be defining what it is we want to report to the board at year end and setup our goals for next year. 

 

Minutes of December 8, 2009

 

Minutes RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Dec 8th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Toni Reed

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:32 pm

Time OUT:  6:20 pm

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School and a MacDougal School Update.

Old Business

 

q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings. John has located 10 studies and will be soliciting input from principals concerning facility shortcomings from a programmatic perspective.  With all that is going on his is not as far along as he would like to have been.

 

 

q  Progress on Bus Garage Lease.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q  MacDougal School update.

 

 

 

 

 

 

q  Progress on availability of the Transportation Software.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Contracting with John Spear for assistance with the Facility Audit and Construction Applications.

 

 

 

 

 

Have a draft 4 year lease from John Frye in hand which has been reviewed by our lawyers.  Noted that care should be taken that certain fixtures, like the bus timers, don’t revert to the lease owner at the end of the lease.  It was Noted that admin is reserving any free up space, at this time, in case it’s needed for storage.  Later that which is not needed will be converted to educational purposes.

 

Most all the projects are completed. Siemens and Nalco are working on what would be the best water treatment system for this new boiler. Judy will formally inform our tenant, Broadreach, about the particulars of the closing once the vote has been taken by the residents of Rockland. 

 

Judy has talked with Jim Rier at DHS and requested that we have the software in February.  He agrees and Judy will pursue.

 

 

New Business

q  Discuss setting up a Fuel Cost Stabilization fund for this coming year’s budget.

















q  Progress on Many Flags Application.




q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

 

 

 

q  Air Quality at the Thomaston Grammar School



 

 

 

Agreed to review at budget time.  A new law permits schools units to establish a fuel cost stabilization fund covering both transportation and heating fuels.  The fund must be established by a separate warrant article which has disclosure of the balance, before and after and the amount expended.  Funding can be either by raising taxes or by moving surplus/available balances to that account.  The fund does have certain limits so as not to be unreasonable. The fund can’t exceed the highest cost of the past three years. This first year it would be SAD5 and SAD50 numbers added together.  Expenditures from this fund may occur without further voter approval. 

John and Allen are working to get the application ready. The Group is meeting this coming Thursday.

 

 

 

It is yet to be determined exactly which schools will apply for construction monies.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Starting on Dec 1st, via email and phone, staff report poor air quality at TGS.  Scott and company did some extra maintenance and cleaning of many remote locations hoping to find something. Nothing was found to account for the odor.   The additional cleaning and changing of the air handler filters helped but did not alleviate the problem.  Thayer is coming in to check the air handlers for any leaks in the handlers.  Toni Reed called upon a state inspector, Larry Mare, to help with testing the air quality. He showed up today.  The inspection found 2 rooms where the CO2 was within normal limits but on the high range.  Something that might have been the result of filters needed to be replaced; which they have been.  Otherwise, nothing was found out of the ordinary.  It is now suspected that this order maybe a rodent whom has died somewhere in the building.

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday Jan 12th

 



 

Tentative:

Update on the MacDougal Move

 

Update on where we stand with the Construction Applications

 

Update on where we stand with the facilities Audit.

 

Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

Update on Bus Garage Lease.

 

George and Judy will report on what the High School Study Group has for findings and recommendations.

 

Update on the Air Quality at TGS

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

None

 

 

Minutes of Meeting on February 9, 2010

 

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Feb 9th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:31 pm

Time OUT: 7:05 pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

NNTR (Nothing New To Report)

Old Business

 

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School

 

 

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

 

 

 

  • Bus Garage Move Update

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

 

  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

 

 

 

2 - Zone fans were sent with were wrong for the mounting brackets we have.  We are seeing if we can make due.  2 – Roof fans seem to be missing in transit. 

 

Due to lack of Resources we have NNTR. Hope is by the April Meeting we will have a status report and by the May meeting Scott, Peter and Judy will have a draft. 

 

Folks and buses are all moved in.  Nothing but positive things to say. The electrical work is done and so far has saved us $1,645 in electricity this month.  At this seasonal rate of savings the meters will be paid off in one month and the whole electrical upgrade of $11,500 will be paid off in under two seasons.  At which point the $1,645.00 per month savings continues. We knew there would be savings but cutting the costs in half was better than expected.

 


The Application is being circulated for comments.

 

We are signed up and waiting on the State. It was expected we would be moving on this by February 1st.

 

New Business

 

  • Appears there is a $3,000,000 shortfall instead of $2,500,000.  And the state is trying to reduce subsidy for Medicaid reimbursement we receive, which is another $200,000.

  • MacDougal School – Usage Options

 

 

 

  • Committee Goals – Update

 

 

  • Discuss double bus runs for next year.

 

 

 

 

  • Maintenance Projects for next year’s budget

 

 

 

 

Did not discuss implications at this meeting.

 

 

 

 

Other than communications with Broadreach there is NNTR as it also was not discussed at this meeting.

 

NNTR as it was not discussed.

 

 

 

Folks are in the process of putting numbers together but it’s looking like with all the cost reductions we need facing we will need to go to double bus runs. More to come.

 

Scott Hall has been working with the principals of each school to bring in next year’s proposed Maintenance Projects.  While it shows something like 16 projects in seven building it’s not complete. A couple of schools have yet to report in and several projects our out being assigned a cost.

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday Mar 9th 

 



 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

-       None raised

.

 

 

Summer Projects - Discussed September 8, 2009

Summer Projects 2009

 

Cushing Community School

·        Painted front of school

Gilford Butler

·        Doors at lower level of building are scheduled to be replaced

·        Did not replace carpet in three classrooms as budgeted due to tile underneath the carpet containing asbestos

MacDougal

·        Chainlink fence is scheduled to be installed from existing playground fence to the building

Owls Head Central

·        A new boiler room floor drain was installed due to the old drain collapsing

RDMS

·        Window trim was replaced on several 2nd floor windows and the large bay window in the library

·        Carpet was replaced with VCT in the library

·        Floor was repaired in the hallway

South School

·        Window wall in the resource room was replaced with thermo pane panels

St. George School

·        Renovated the third of three classrooms in the original section of the building

·        Removed café dividing wall

·        Repaired and replaced outside trim

·        Bleachers were repaired and end rails were installed to make them code compliant

TGS

·        Café tables which were original equipment (1982) were replaced

·        Bleachers were repaired and end rails were installed to make them code compliant

GVHS

·        3rd phase of window replacement was done.  The front and rear of the building were the last two areas

·        Exterior siding was replaced on the front of the building with cement clapboard siding

·        Bleachers were  repaired and end rails were installed to make them code compliant

·        The roof of the library addition was not done, possibly going to be done in the spring dependent on budget at the time

Lura Libby   

·        Window trim around the front and end windows was replaced because of rot

RDHS

·        Resurfaceing of part of the parking lot was completed by the state

·        Additional local money was budgeted and all holes and bad areas of the parking lot were cut out and patches applied.  Reclaimed material was used to expand the hot top area of the parking lot.  The entire parking lot was re striped.

G&E Roofing completed a roofing survey of all roofs in the RSU.  The report will be presented to me on Thursday 9/10/09.