School Board Committees - Membership, Meeting Agendas, Minutes

List of committees, meeting times, and members


Building Committees
New Elementary School

Agendas
August 7, 2017
May 4, May 11, May 18 & May 25
April 26, 2017
April 13, 2017
April 6, 2017

Minutes
April 13, 2017
April 6, 2017


Oceanside High School / Oceanside Middle School

Meeting Notice - August 7, 2017

Agendas
May 1, 2017
April 24, 2017
April 11, 2017

Minutes
May 1, 2017
April 24, 2017
April 11, 2017

 

 

Curriculum & Technology - 4th Monday, 3:30pm, McLain Building

Committee Members
Loren Andrews, Chair
Carol Bachofner
Susan Allen Thomas
Steffany Tribou/Bruce Johnson - Admin Staff

Agendas (2017-2018)
October 2, 2017
August 28, 2017
 

 

 

 

Minutes (2017-2018)
August 28, 2017


Agendas (2016-2017)
June 19, 2017
April 24, 2017
March 27, 2017
February 27, 2017
January 23, 2017
November 21, 2016
October 24, 2016 - did not meet
September 26, 2016
August 15, 2016


Minutes (2016-2017)
June 19, 2017
April 24, 2017
March 27, 2017
February 27, 2017
January 23, 2017
November 21, 2016
September 26, 2016
August 15, 2016

 

Agendas (2015-2016)
May 23, 2016 - MEETING POSTPONED
April 25, 2016
March 28, 2016
February 22, 2016
January 25, 2016
December 21, 2015
November 23, 2015
October 26, 2015
September 28, 2015
August 24, 2015
August 5, 2015 (Joint Meeting with Finance, Insurance, Facilties & Transportation)

Minutes (2015-2016)

April 25, 2016
March 28, 2016

February 22, 2016
January 25, 2016
December 21, 2015
November 23, 2015
October 26, 2015
September 28, 2015
August 24, 2015


Former Curriculum Committee
Agendas (2014-2015)

May 28, 2015
April 30, 2015
March 26, 2015
February 26, 2015
January 22, 2015
December 18, 2014
November 20, 2014
September 25, 2014
August 21, 2014

Minutes (2014-2015)
May 28, 2015
March 26, 2015
February 26, 2015
January 22, 2015
December 18, 2014
November 20, 2014
September 25, 2014
August 21, 2014

Agendas (2013-2014)
June 19, 2014
May 15, 2014
April 2014 - No meeting
March 27, 2014
March 5, 2014
February 27, 2014 - MEETING CANCELLED
January 16, 2014
December 19, 2013 - MEETING CANCELLED
November 21, 2013
October 8, 2013
September 10, 2013

Minutes (2013-2014)
May 15, 2014
March 27, 2014
March 5, 2014
January 16, 2014
November 21, 2013
October 8, 2013
September 10, 2013

Agendas (2012-2013)
June 27, 2013
May 16, 2013
February 28, 2013
January 17, 2013
November 15, 2012
October 18, 2012
September 20, 2012 - Meeting cancelled
August 23, 2012

Minutes (2012-2013)
June 27, 2013
May 16, 2013
January 17, 2013
November 15, 2012
October 18, 2012
August 23, 2012

Agendas (2011-2012)
June 6, 2012 (Rescheduled from May 17, 2012)
March 15, 2012
February 16, 2012
January 19, 2012
December 15, 2011
November 17, 2011
October 20, 2011
September 15, 2011
August 25, 2011

Minutes (2011-2012)

June 6, 2012
March 15, 2012
February 16, 2012
January 19, 2012
December 15, 2011
November 17, 2011
October 20, 2011
September 15, 2011
August 25, 2011

Agendas (2010-2011)
June 23, 2011
May 19, 2011
April 14, 2011
March 17, 2011
February 2011 (no meeting)
January 20, 2011
December 16, 2010
November 18, 2010
October 21, 2010
September 16, 2010

Minutes (2010-2011)
June 23, 2011
May 19, 2011
April 14, 2011
March 17, 2011
January 20, 2011
December 16, 2010
November 18, 2010
October 21, 2010
September 16, 2010
 

Agenda for April 6, 2010

 

 

AGENDA - RSU13 – CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
Tuesday, April 6, 2010 AT 6:30PM – McLain Building

 

 

Committee

Committee or Visitors

Committee or Visitors

  Sally Carleton, Chair

 Patricia Moran-Wotton

  Loren Andrews

 Neal Guyer

  George Emery

 Dr. Thomas Wright

  Julie Sanborn  

 

Time IN:

Time OUT:   

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

 

1.     Update on Alternative Education – program planning for 2010-2011:  Dr. T. Wright

 

 

 

 

2.     Overview of emerging National Common Core Standards:

 N. Guyer

·         Implications for Maine

·         Implications for RSU 13 curriculum development & planning.

 

 

 

3.     Review of the Jules Verne – French world language visiting teacher application & planning implications if RSU 13’s application is successful.  N. Guyer

 

 

 

4.     Overview of the RSU 13 spring assessment schedule and website planning for making assessment data more readily available: N. Guyer

 

 

 

 

5.     Other/adjourn:

·         Herring Gut Learning Center (HGLC) PD for teachers

·         Possible Curriculum Committee meeting at HGLC?

·         On-going worked focusing on the ‘curriculum audit.’

·         Agenda items for the May meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for December 1, 2009

 

AGENDA - RSU13 – CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
Tuesday, December 1, 2009 AT 6:30PM – McLain Building

 

 

Committee

Committee or Visitors

Committee or Visitors

  Sally Carleton, Chair

 Patricia Moran-Wotton

 Neal Guyer

  Loren Andrews

 Tom Wright

  George Emery

Todd Martin

 

  Julie Sanborn  

 Judith Lucarelli

Time IN:

Time OUT:  

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

 

1.     Progress update on GT programming – T. Wright:

 

·         Share sample GT Learning Plan that is currently being piloted within the program.

·         Update on program development efforts.

 

 

 

 

2.     Profile of the plan to pilot trimester reporting at the MacDougal School in 2009/2010 – T. Martin:

 

·         Rationale for the change & link to MacDougal/U-Maine Literacy Partnership Project. Projected reporting dates for 2009-2010.

·         Parent informational letter.

·         Review data & Information that was shared with parents during parent conferences.

·          What will the new report cards look like – samples.

·         How we will know whether or not the change is worthwhile – parent & faculty surveys – other.

 

 

 

 

3.     Review & discuss draft policy – Curriculum Development & Adoption – N. Guyer & J. Lucarelli:

 

 

 

 

 

4.     Review draft of district-wide writing assessment results & update on efforts to expand this process for grades 10-12 – N. Guyer:

 

 

 

 

 

5.      Agenda items & confirmation of the date, time, & location of the next Curriculum Committee meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for February 2, 2010

 

AGENDA - RSU13 – CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
Tuesday, February 2, 2010 AT 6:30PM – McLain Building

 

 

Committee

Committee or Visitors

Committee or Visitors

  Sally Carleton, Chair

 Patricia Moran-Wotton

 Thomas Forti

  Loren Andrews

 Judith Lucarelli

 Mary Alice McLean

  George Emery

Neal Guyer

  Julie Sanborn  

 

Time IN:

Time OUT:  

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

     1.     Discussion of the High School Study Group’s recommendation for a preferred reorganization option for secondary programs that would include grades 8 & 9 at GVHS and grades 10-12 at RDHS. Highlighted points will include, but not be limited to the following questions:

 

·         What are the core elements of the ‘vision and mission’ of this contemplated arrangement?

·         How will this proposal strengthen the curriculum and program offerings for grades 8-12?

·         How will dispirit ‘tracks’ within existing programs be reconciled – and what steps are contemplated in moving towards a standards-based system?

·         This ‘preparatory and academy model’ is offered as a way of improving student achievement – what dimensions and structures are envisioned that will support improved achievement?

·         What are the ‘Many Flag’ building blocks that are envisioned within this proposal?

·         What will be the professional development priorities if this plan moves forward?

·         What curriculum and program unification efforts need to proceed regardless of this proposal?

.

 

 

 

 

2.     Other/Adjourn:

 

·         Confirmation of the date, time, & location of the next Curriculum Committee meeting.

·         Highlight anticipated agenda items.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for January 5, 2010

 

AGENDA - RSU13 – CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
Tuesday, January 5, 2010 AT 6:30PM – McLain Building

 

 

Committee

Committee or Visitors

Committee or Visitors

  Sally Carleton, Chair

 Patricia Moran-Wotton

  Loren Andrews

 Judith Lucarelli

  George Emery

Neal Guyer

  Julie Sanborn  

 

Time IN:

Time OUT:   

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

 

1.     Review & discussion of draft K-8 Curriculum/Program Audit –

N. Guyer:

 

·         Walkthrough of the audit document.

·         Emerging themes for curriculum development and coordination.

 

 

 

 

 

2.     Profile of existing world language program offerings K-8 & discussion of potential coordination efforts for 2010-2011.

N. Guyer:

 

·         Historical review of how existing programs came to be.

·         Profile/comparison of existing instructional approaches.

·         Emerging themes for curriculum development and coordination

 

 

 

3.      Other/Adjourn:

 

·         Looking ahead to 2/2/10 meeting and discussion of High School Study Group’s preferred option proposal – areas of focus/questions for the Curriculum Committee to pursue. 

·         Confirmation of the date, time, & location of the next Curriculum Committee meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for June 15, 2010

 

 

AGENDA - RSU13 – CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 AT 6:30PM – McLain Building

 

 

Committee

Committee or Visitors

Committee or Visitors

  Sally Carleton, Chair

 Patricia Moran-Wotton

  Loren Andrews

 Neal Guyer

  George Emery

 Todd Martin

  Julie Sanborn  

 

Time IN:

Time OUT:  

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

 

1.     Update on MacDougal School/UMO Literacy Partnership –

T. Martin:

·         Summary of progress noted in 2009-2010

·         Results of trimester reporting & report card pilot – continuing plans

·         Next steps & plans contemplated for 2010-2011

 

 

 

 

2.     Overview of 2009-2010 RSU 13 Writing Assessment Results – N. Guyer:

·         Review of grade specific data

·         Changes contemplated for 2010-2011

·         Expansion for high school grades 10, 11, & 12.

 

 

 

3.     Consideration/discussion of the K-8 administrative team’s planning for piloting trimester schedule across the RSU for 2010-2011 – N. Guyer.

·         Scheduled reporting

·         Implications for RTI

·         Elements of the evaluation plan

 

 

 

4.     Other/adjourn:

·         Consideration of meeting day change for 2010-2011

·         Preliminary topics for committee consideration 2010-2011

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for March 2, 2010

 

AGENDA - RSU13 – CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
Tuesday, March 2, 2010 AT 6:30PM – McLain Building

 

 

Committee

Committee or Visitors

Committee or Visitors

  Sally Carleton, Chair

 Patricia Moran-Wotton

Larry Schooley

  Loren Andrews

 Judith Lucarelli

  George Emery

Neal Guyer

  Julie Sanborn  

 Mary Alice McLean

Time IN:

Time OUT:  

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

 

1.     Overview of Expeditionary Learning projects at the St. George School and Thomaston Grammar School.  M.A. McLean & L. Schooley.

 

 

 

 

 

2.     Review and discussion of assessment results and orientation to the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP):

 

·         Writing Assessment Gender Study

·         Historical data trends for MEA, NECAP, and Maine High School Assessment (SAT & Supplemental mathematics and science tests)

·         NECAP orientation and review of fall 2009 results.

 

 

 

 

3.      Other/Adjourn:

 

·         Looking ahead to 04-06-10 meeting & anticipated agenda items.

·         Confirmation of the date, time, & location of the next Curriculum Committee meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for May 4, 2010

 

AGENDA - RSU13 – CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
Tuesday, May 4, 2010 AT 3:30PM – Herring Gut Learning Center

 

Please note:  This meeting of the RSU 13 Curriculum Committee will take place at the Herring Gut Learning Center in Port Clyde. HGCL is located at 59 Factory Road.  Take route 131 south thru Tenants Harbor and continue on to Port Clyde.  As you near the end of 131, (just before the Monhegan Boat Line – ice cream shop on your right), you will turn left onto Factory Road.  Proceed up the hill and bear to the left on Factory Road.  Look for the HGLC sign on your right.  The phone number at HGCL is 372-8677. See you there!

 

Committee

Committee or Visitors

Committee or Visitors

  Sally Carleton, Chair

 Patricia Moran-Wotton

  Loren Andrews

 Neal Guyer

  George Emery

 Dr. Thomas Wright

  Julie Sanborn  

 

Time IN:

Time OUT:  

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

1.     Introductions and welcoming remarks – Wes Todd, Director HGLC;  Dr. Thomas Wright, RSU 13:

·         Program mission and overview

·         Tour of the learning center facility

·         Discussion and questions/answers regarding implications for mid-level alternative education programming for 2010-2011.

·         Highlights of other collaborative programming efforts between HGLC & RSU 13.

 

 

 

 

2.     Additional Curriculum Committee updates time permitting -

 N. Guyer

·         Jules Verne – French world Language visiting teacher application

·         RSU 13 assessment website

 

 

 

3.     Other/adjourn:

·         Agenda items for the June meeting

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for October 6, 2009

 

Agenda - RSU13 – CURRICULUM COMMITTEE
TUESDAY, October 6, 2009 AT 6:30PM – McLAIN BUILDING

 

Committee

Committee or Visitors

Visitors

  Sally Carleton, Chair

 Patricia Moran-Wotton

 

  Loren Andrews

 Tom Wright

  George Emery

Judith Lucarelli

 

  Julie Sanborn  

 Neal Guyer

Time IN:

Time OUT:  

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

  1. Summary of recommendations from the ad hoc GT Committee –

P. Moran-Wooton

 

Brief progress update on GT program development – T. Wright.

 

 

 

 

  1. Review and discussion of  DRAFT policy – Curriculum Development & Adoption – N. Guyer

 

              Please note – accompanying this agenda is a redrafted Policy IGA

              based the discussion at the Sept. Curriculum Committee meeting. 

              Significant modifications to be discussed are highlighted in yellow.

 

 

 

 

  1. Distribution & review of the RSU 13 Professional Development/

Assessment Calendar - N. Guyer

 

 

 

 

  1. Agenda items & confirmation of the date, time, & location of the next Curriculum Committee meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Gifted/Talented Report presented to Curriculum Committee on 10/6

CURRICULUM Agenda - RSU13 Gifted and Talented (G&T)
OCT 06, 2009 – 6:30pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

 

 Patricia Moran Wotton - Chair

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Brian Messing

 Tess Kilgour

 Judy Lucarelli

 

 George Emery

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

REPORT OUT AT CURRICULUM

MEETING 10-06-09

 

Results

Results

 

We started with a which allowed the public to speak about their experiences and recommendations. Programs in the two schools start at a similar age, and serve both math and language arts. 

 

We found concerns in the middle school years, in the East side middle school where the upper grades heavily use technology for teaching math.

 

At the high school level the west side serves one student, and east side has no program.

 

The Committee would like to see:

·         A consistent, clearly stated procedure, including which grades students test into the program - when retested, what tests

·         Independent Learning Plan for GT students, to involve student, parent and school, and bi-annual check of plan.

·         Parent involvement: have parents aware of the program and who is the contact person.

·         GT - consider expansion from just Math and Language Arts – what about the Arts and Science?

·         Develop an Independent Study program, perhaps with presentation to panel at end of work

·         Resource list for students of available apprenticeships, Mentors, online high school and college courses and other enrichment opportunities

·         Procedure for passing students from middle school to high school to continue their GT work

·         GT training for teachers at the high school level, perhaps an inservice day used for differentiation, for curriculum compacting

·         Teachers encourage at the high school level to get GT certified

·         Pursue State reimbursement requirements with an determination to try to receive reimbursement

·         Poll of current and past students and parents

 

 

 

 

 

 

Let us Challenge students:

to do their best, to find their full potential,

and progress at the rate they are able

         

 

Minutes for April 6, 2010

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

April 6, 2010

 

Committee Members Present        :           S. Carleton, L. Andrews, G. Emery, P. Moran-Wotton, Other Board Members Present    :           R.A. Hohfeld

Staff Members Present                   :           N. Guyer, T. Wright, M. Thill

Others Present                                 :           2 RSU 13 parents

Location                                             :           Superintendent’s Office – McLain Building

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Sally Carleton, Curriculum Committee Chair, at 6:30 PM.

 

II.         Update on alternative education – program planning for 2010-2011. T. Wright:

           

           Tom Wright provided an overview of alternative education services for both mid-level and high school students.

 

In 2010-2011 there will be a consolidation of the 2 middle school programs. The consolidated program will be housed at the St. George School – staffed by a teacher and 2 ed tech 3’s.  Students will also participate in hands-on lab and field activities at Herring Gut Learning Center (HGLC) to strengthen literacy, math, and science skills. Immediate challenges include:

 

·         Helping the students from Rockland Middle School Alternative Education program transition to and adjust to this new setting

·         Developing an instructional schedule and assigning staff in order to make the best use of available resources.

 

            At the high school level there are currently 39 students being served by RSU 13’s Alternative          High School Program which is housed at the McLain building. The 2 primary goals of the            program are: to provide students the support needed to earn a high school diploma and to help             them become as fully integrated into the mainstream as possible.

 

            Most typically high school students attend the program for a half-day session, either in the             morning or afternoon, during which time they take core academic courses in English, Math,        Science, and Social Studies.  (At this point half day programming is necessary because the 2            high schools have different schedules).

 

            While there are multiple options available to these students to earn a high school diploma or its       equivalency, all options are not seen as equal.  Thus an adult education diploma and a GED are     seen as less desirable than a regular diploma from either GVHS or RDHS, even though these    options may better suit the needs and circumstances of individual students.

 

            It is anticipated that the high school program will remain status quo for next year. When there is a   single consolidated 8 – 12 program, it would be hoped that the Alternative Ed program would be housed at the 10-12 school.  The advantages of this would include:

 

·         Increased administrative support

·         Greater opportunity for students to access the mainstream courses

·         Higher levels of individualized scheduling (not limited to ½ day programming)

·         Academic and social safety net would be more accessible

·         Ultimately would likely allow for more students to be supported with the same staffing numbers.

 

 

             

 RSU 13 Curriculum Committee Minutes, 4-2-10, page 2.

 

 

III.        Overview of emerging State Common Core Standards.  N. Guyer:

           

            This brief presentation highlighted aspects of the National Governors Association & Council of Chief State School Officers Common Core State Standards Initiative (CCSSI). The grade level literacy and mathematics standards articulated via this initiative are expected to be adopted in Maine and will replace the current Maine Learning Results. It is anticipated that these standards will be finalized in the spring of 2010, and that Maine will move to formally adopt soon thereafter.

            Committee members were provided with a handout profiling the history, likely roll-out process in Maine, expected benefits, and potential challenges of this initiative.

                       

IV.       Review of Jules Verne French world language visiting teacher application. N. Guyer:

 

            Neal Guyer confirmed information that had been previously shared with the RSU 13 School Board regarding RSU 13’s application to recruit a visiting French teacher via this French Government program for the 2010-2011 school year.  If successful, this teacher will be deployed for elementary level instruction at the South School, Owls Head Central School, and the Gilford Butler School. This would involve minimal costs to RSU 13 and would enhance considerably our short-term capacity to continue world language instruction during these challenging economic times.

 

V.        Overview of RSU 13 spring assessment schedule and website development for making assessment data available.  N. Guyer:   

 

            The spring assessment schedule involving multiple assessments K-11 was briefly reviewed.  Committee members were also provided with a printed ‘conceptual layout’ of how the district’s website location for assessment data will be organized and made available. A test page for this site has been created and is currently in the final phases of development.  It is hoped that this site will be up and running during the week following April vacation. Neal Guyer will notify committee members when the site becomes available.

 

VI.       Other/Adjourn.

           

            Committee members were provided with information regarding a profession development opportunity that is being made available to K-6 teachers at the Herring Gut Learning Center.  This series of on-site workshops are free for teachers and are intended to enhance science instruction.

           

            Committee members discussed and agreed that the next RSU 13 Curriculum Committee meeting will take place at 3:30 PM on Tuesday, May 4, 2010 – at the Herring Gut Learning Center in Port Clyde.  An agenda for this meeting will be sent the week of April 28th and will include driving directions to HGLC.

 

            This meeting was adjourned by Sally Carleton at approximately 8:25 PM.

 

 

 

Minutes for December 1, 2009

 

                    REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

                                December 1, 2009

 

Committee Members Present        :           S. Carleton, G. Emery, P. Moran-Wotton

Other Board Members Present      :           R.A. Hohfeld,

Staff Members Present                   :           J. Lucarelli, T. Wright, T. Martin, N. Guyer

Others Present                                 :           RSU 13 parent

Location                                             :           Superintendent’s Office – McLain Building

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Chair Carleton at 6:25 PM.

 

II.         Progress update on GT programming – T. Wright:

           

Tom Wright distributed two samples of GT – Student Learning Plans as examples of how GT services are beginning to be structured for grades 4-8 across the RSU.  These plans are intended to more directly engage qualified students in determining their strengths, weaknesses, and unique interests as learners, and to more authentically involve them in the design and implementation of targeted learning activities.  The goal for this school year is to have every qualified student complete a ‘pilot plan’ within this process in collaboration with their GT teacher.

 

Efforts continue to develop a similar process for secondary GT students.  Meetings involving administrators, guidance personnel, and others are on-going in order to identify policy, procedural, and quality control issues that are more significant factors in considerations at this level. The goal is to resolve these issues and have a planning process in place for the beginning of 2010-2011 academic year.

                                   

III.           Profile of the plan to pilot trimester reporting at the MacDougal School in 2009/2010 – T. Martin:

 

Todd Martin explained the rationale for this pilot program that would shift the MacDougal School from a system of quarterly reporting to a trimester schedule, and how this directly related to the school’s work with the University of Maine Literacy Partnership Project.  Samples of a new, more narrative-based, report card format were shared with committee members as were parent informational letters, and other documents.  Pre and post surveys will also be conducted with parents and teachers to help in assessing the impact and over-all effectiveness of this change.

 

If successful, this pilot initiative may be utilized to contemplate reporting changes for other RSU 13 elementary grades and will serve to unify work related to the development of common standards and literacy benchmarks.

 

A report back to the committee on this pilot project will be scheduled for the spring of 2010.

 

IV.       Review and discuss draft policy Curriculum and Educational Programs – Dr. Lucarelli, N. Guyer:

 

            Dr. Lucarelli reviewed a draft of this policy.  Discussion of same resulted in additional considerations for language inclusion related to promoting student engagement and the scope of assessments to be considered.  Suggested revisions will be incorporated into the draft document and will be reconsideration at a future committee meeting.

 

V.        Review draft of district-wide writing assessment results – N. Guyer

 

            Neal Guyer distributed a 1st draft of the District Writing Assessment Study for 2009 – 2010, and provided an over-view of the data contained within each section of the report.  The final section of the report pertaining to gender performance profiles will be completed and added to the over-all document in January of 2010.  Principals will conduct a final review of this document to verify accuracy, and then will proceed to utilize this information to:

 

·         Chart performance indicators for their individual schools.

·         Establish goals for anticipated improvements within the school year.

·         Create instructional recommendations that can be shared across all content areas that will support the attainment of established goals.

·         Determine interim progress measures and strategies that will be utilized throughout the year to track progress in individual schools.

 

This district-wide assessment process will be repeated in the spring of 2010 and results at that

time will be incorporated into the same document in order to display progress attained

throughout the year. Results for grades 10 and 11 will also be included in the spring version of

Writing Assessment Study.

 

The Writing Assessment Study will also be posted on the district’s web site along with other

pertinent data summaries.

 

            VI.       Agenda items for next meeting:

 

·         Review of world language program offerings K-8.

·         1st draft report on RSU 13 Curriculum & Program Au

 

VlI.      Date, time, and location of the next meeting:

 

            The RSU 13 Curriculum Committee will meet again on Tuesday, January 5, 2010, at 6:30 PM.

 

VIII.     Other/Adjourn.

 

            This meeting was adjourned by Chair Carleton at approximately 8:20 PM.

 

 

 

Minutes for February 2, 2010

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

February 2, 2010

 

Committee Members Present        :           L. Andrews, G. Emery, P. Moran-Wotton,           

Other Board Members Present      :           R.A. Hohfeld,

Staff Members Present                   :           J. Lucarelli, N. Guyer, K. Gamage,

                                                                        M.A.McLean

Others Present                                 :           2 RSU 13 parents

Location                                             :           Superintendent’s Office – McLain Building

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Loren Andrews at 6:35 PM.

 

II.         Discussion of the High School Study Group’s recommendation for a preferred reorganization option for secondary programs that would include grades 8 & 9 at GVHS and grades 10-12 at RDHS.

           

          The committee engaged in a wide ranging discussion regarding the proposal as brought forth by the RSU 13 High School Study Group.  Within the committee’s purview of curriculum and programs, the following elements were highlighted within this discussion:

 

·         The essential strengths that teaming will bring to the 8th/9th configuration in building more rigorous and independent habits of work and improved strategies for supporting students in being more successful – particularly at the 9th grade as they begin their high school career.

Teachers at both grade levels will bring a unique skill set into this new configuration designed to better support students through this critical developmental transition – ensuring that as many students as possible begin high school on a positive, successful footing.

 

·         Implications for needed professional development and the recognition that effective teaming is not something that occurs via ‘automatic pilot.’  If the RSU School Board decides to pursue this option, then professional development for building a common set of teaming skills and operational norms for the 8th /9th grade configuration will need to be a forefront consideration.

 

·         The expressed hope that creative programming strategies like Expeditionary Learning will see enhancement and growth within a new 8th /9th configuration – and possibly beyond. It was noted that this will require strengthening a basis of support among the involved faculty in order to build the necessary commitment to carry this forward. 

 

·         Implications for being able to preserve and strengthen a broader set of curriculum offerings for students in grades 10-12, and the need to emphasize professional development in bringing needed high school reform efforts to bear on every-day practice.  Within this context the committee also discussed the desire of the high schools to de-track and move to more standards-based formats of operation. These efforts will also be emphasized within the NEASC accreditation process that will be moving forward for RDHS.

 

·         The impact of the proposed reorganization option on NEASC accreditation should the plan be endorsed with a near-term implementation vs. a longer-term plan of action.

 

·         Plausible options for better coordinating between the two high schools were discussed in the event that the RSU School Board adopted an extended timeframe for implementation or rejected the proposed reconfiguration option.  These included better schedule coordination, technology linked classrooms for collaborative offerings, transportation services between the two schools, etc.

 

 

 

 

 

·         Enhancing ‘early college’ options, broadening pathways to graduation choices, and extending the degree to which MCST offerings can be made available on site at RDHS – were all seen as natural steps in building ‘Many Flag’ aspects into the 10-12 configuration that is part of this over-all plan.  It was noted that the RSU 13 Policy Committee will play a critical role in re-crafting graduation requirements for one high school program within the RSU. This will need to be accomplished regardless of reorganization efforts with new requirements phased in over a several year period.  

 

·         The financial constraints and challenges for maintaining academic programs that are likely to emerge as enrollment and resources decline over the next few years – and the cost/benefits of the district remaining status quo vs. pursuing reorganization as proposed.

 

·         Curriculum and program coordination that will need to occur regardless of reorganization and how they might be impacted by a decision to reorganize sooner rather than later.

 

·         Dr. Lucarelli reviewed a draft sequence of implementation steps contemplating a proposed  implementation date of September 2011.  It was emphasized that if the RSU School Board endorses the proposed option as a way forward, having a clear target date for implementation would be critical in crafting a work plan that will bring that about in a realistic manner.

 

 

III.        Agenda items for next meeting:

           

            Neal Guyer will confer with the Chair of the Curriculum Committee and determine agenda items for the March meeting.

           

IV.       Date, time, and location of the next meeting:

 

            The RSU 13 Curriculum Committee will meet again on Tuesday, March 2, 2010, at 6:30 PM.

            This meeting will be held at the Superintendent’s Office.

 

V.        Other/Adjourn.

 

            This meeting was adjourned by Loren Andrews at approximately 8:05 PM.

 

 

 

Minutes for January 5, 2010

 

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

January 5, 2010

 

 

Committee Members Present        :           S. Carleton, G. Emery, P. Moran-Wotton,

                                                                        L. Andrews, J. Sanborn     

Other Board Members Present      :           R.A. Hohfeld,

Staff Members Present                   :           J. Lucarelli, N. Guyer

Others Present                                 :           RSU 13 parent

Location                                             :           Superintendent’s Office – McLain Building

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Chair Carleton at 6:30 PM.

 

II.         Review and discussion of draft K-8 Curriculum/Program Audit – N. Guyer:

           

Early in this school year the RSU 13 Curriculum Committee endorsed the goal of conducting a thorough audit of curriculum and programs across the district.  Work has been progressing towards this objective, and the Curriculum Committee received a first draft of the K-8 audit at this meeting.   It was explained that the purpose of this endeavor is simply to capture a ‘big picture’ view of the status quo for established curricula and programs, as they currently exist in all of our schools.  Committee members were provided with a walk-through of the audit document which profiled:

 

·         Comparisons of ‘allied programs’ (music, art, world language, etc.) school-to-school in terms of the frequency and duration of instruction.

·         The core content areas of literacy, mathematics, science, and social studies in terms of the written curricula that guide instruction, materials being used, frequency and duration of instruction, and the assessment tools that are routinely applied.

·         The age of foundational curriculum documents being referenced as well as the age and condition of primary instructional materials.

 

With this information as a baseline, curriculum development teams will be in a better position to identify areas of relative congruence and disparity, and begin working towards the over-arching goal of unifying programs and services across the district.  It is intended that this effort will lead to a longer-term strategic plan that will guide curriculum and professional development initiatives, and inform curriculum related budget deliberations for the next two to three years. A first draft of this longer term plan will be reviewed by the Curriculum Committee at its March meeting.

 

The on-going work of the High School Study Group has encompassed a review of the program of studies from both RDHS and GVHS.  As the study group process proceeds, a determination will be made as to whether a more detailed audit of secondary curricula and programs will be needed to support emerging objectives.

                                   

III.           Profile of existing World Language Program offerings K-8 & discussion of potential coordination efforts for 2010-2011- N. Guyer:

 

Committee members were provided with a budget planning document from 2008-2009 as a means of profiling the specific components of the ‘west side’ world language program.  Additionally, the features of both east (K-3 & 6-8) and west side (K-7) programs were highlighted within the curriculum and program audit previously discussed at this meeting.

 

 

 

 

N. Guyer explained that initial planning meetings are on-going with current faculty and tutors.  In addition to necessary budget planning for 2010-2011, an emerging plan will seek to:

 

·         Unify the instructional goals and philosophy across the RSU.

·         Possibly expand on the use of Foreign Language Teaching Assistants (FLTAs) in 2010-2011.

·         Create a common curriculum for grades K-8.

·         Chart out a growth plan for extending west side instruction to grade 8, and east side instruction to include grades 4 & 5.

 

IV.       Other/Adjourn:

 

            The committee briefly discussed the High School Study Group’s initial release of information and the emerging recommendation for a preferred option that would include grades 8 & 9 at GVHS and grades 10-12 at RDHS.  In looking ahead to the committee meeting that will be held on February 2nd, the committee indicated a wish to continue a more detailed discussion with the participation of the two high school principals and TGS principal.  Highlighted points will include, but not be limited to the following questions:

 

·         What are the core elements of the ‘vision and mission’ of this contemplated arrangement?

·         How will this proposal strengthen the curriculum and program offerings for grades 8-12?

·         How will dispirit ‘tracks’ within existing programs be reconciled – and what steps are contemplated in moving towards a standards-based system?

·         This ‘preparatory and academy model’ is offered as a way of improving student achievement – what dimensions and structures are envisioned that will support improved achievement?

·         What are the ‘Many Flag’ building blocks that are envisioned within this proposal?

·         What will be the professional development priorities if this plan moves forward?

·         What curriculum and program unification efforts need to proceed regardless of this proposal?

 

V.        Agenda items for next meeting:

           

            The agenda for the next meeting will be confined to a more detailed discussion of the High School Study Group’s preferred option proposal.  The questions detailed above (IV.) will be utilized to guide this discussion. This will be the only agenda item.

           

VI.       Date, time, and location of the next meeting:

 

            The RSU 13 Curriculum Committee will meet again on Tuesday, February 2, 2010, at 6:30 PM.

            This meeting will be held at the Superintendent’s Office.

 

VII.      Other/Adjourn.

 

            This meeting was adjourned by Chair Carleton at approximately 8:20 PM.

 

 

 

Minutes for March 2, 2010

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

March 2, 2010

 

Committee Members Present        :           S. Carleton, L. Andrews, G. Emery, P. Moran-Wotton,                                                             J. Sanborn

Other Board Members Present      :           R.A. Hohfeld

Staff Members Present                   :           N. Guyer, M.A. McLean, L. Schooley

Others Present                                 :           1 RSU 13 parent

Location                                             :           Superintendent’s Office – McLain Building

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Sally Carleton, Curriculum Committee Chair, at 6:35 PM.

 

II.         Overview of Expeditionary Learning projects at the St. George School and Thomaston Grammar School.  M.A. McLean & L. Schooley:

           

           Principals Mary Alice McLean and Larry Schooley profiled the Outward Bound Expeditionary Learning (EL) projects currently being pursued in each of their schools. They explained that 2009-2010 is the first year of full implementation for both schools following an exploratory experience in 2007-2008, and partial implementation in 2008-2009.  The two years preceding this full implementation allowed time for the faculties of both school to coalesce in a collective commitment to adopt the EL model and pursue the associated training as the core of continuing professional development. The St. George School has also taken the opportunity to extend EL participation to the elementary level so that grades K – 5 are also included in learning expeditions.

 

            While participation in regional and national EL conferences is a component of the professional development protocol, the bulk of training occurs on-site, within each school. Approximately 18 days of on-site services will be accomplished this year so that training is embedded in day-to-day practice, directly connected to on-going instruction, and sustained over a period of time with the same service provider. 

 

            Principals noted that they both feel that EL has contributed significantly to delivering highly relevant professional development that is in turn - improving student engagement and learning outcomes. Pre and post data will also be utilized to monitor teachers’ continuing commitment and over-all assessment of this effort as it moves forward.

 

            Curriculum Committee members inquired as to the cost of providing this training on an on-going basis.  For 2009-2010 both schools committed to fully utilizing their school-based resources for EL in lieu of other considerations, and Title IIA NCLB grant funds were also dedicated. It was explained that continued funding at this level will be a challenge in light of present and anticipated funding constraints, but every effort will be made to sustain a level of funding that allows this important work to continue.  It is also expected that as each school gains more experience, the need for on-going direct service from EL will decrease over time while the capacity for RSU faculty members to support each other in this work will increase.  

             

III.        Review and discussion of assessment results and orientation to the New England Common Assessment Program. N. Guyer

           

            Neal Guyer profiled the major differences between the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP) that was taken by students in grades 3-8 for the first time in October of 2009 – and the Maine Educational Assessment (MEA - historically given in the spring of the year for grades 3-8) which will no longer be utilized within the State.

 

 

           

 

            Committee members were also provided with two reports relative to the NECAP.  The first was the MEA, NECAP, & MHSA (Maine High School Assessment) Profile – Four Year Average By School & Grade. This report chronicles four years of historical performance data for each school comparing performance for students meeting or exceeding standards within all RSU schools as compared to the State average for the same performance criteria. The second distributed report was the RSU 13 NECAP Study – Fall 2009. This report provided a more detailed analysis of all performance areas by grade and by school, and additionally profiled gender-based patterns of performance by grade. Committee members were reminded that while the over-all NECAP outcomes were positive, the district has yet to be informed regarding determinations of Adequate Yearly Progress which also takes into account performance within specific subgroups such as special education students or students who are determined to be economically disadvantaged. 

 

            The final set of assessment data shared with the committee included an extension of the district-wide writing assessment that was conducted in the fall of 2009.  This supplement to the original report profiled the gender-based performance patterns evident within this data.  This same data will be collected in the spring of 2010 so that pre and post comparisons can be made.

 

            It was explained that work is ongoing to establish a venue on the RSU 13 Website were all of these reports will be assessable on a continuing basis.  It is intended that this site will be maintained and updated as new assessment data becomes available.  Additionally, each school will be posting its own assessment profile in accordance with NCLB requirements during the spring of 2010.

           

IV.       Date, time, and location of the next meeting:

 

            The RSU 13 Curriculum Committee will meet again on Tuesday, April 6, 2010, at 6:30 PM.

            This meeting will be held at the Superintendent’s Office.

 

V.        Other/Adjourn.

 

            This meeting was adjourned by Sally Carleton at approximately 7:55 PM.

 

 

 

Minutes from May 4, 2010

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

May 4, 2010

 

Committee Members Present        :           S. Carleton, L. Andrews, G. Emery,

Other Board Members Present      :           none

Staff Members Present                   :           N. Guyer, T. Wright,

Others Present                                 :           W. Todd, M. Vanesse, S. Rademaker

Location                                             :           Herring Gut Learning Center, Port Clyde

 

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Sally Carleton, Curriculum Committee Chair, at 3:45 PM.

 

II.         Introduction to the Herring Gut Learning Center program and tour of the facility:

           

            This meeting took place at the Herring Gut Learning Center (HGLC) in Port Clyde.  This visitation was arranged so that committee members could gain a deeper level of understanding regarding the unique learning opportunities available via collaborative efforts that currently exist between HGLC and RSU 13, and hopes for expanded collaboration in the future. During this visit:

           

·         Wes Todd (HGLC Director), Sara Rademaker (HGLC Teacher), and Maryanne Vanesse (HGLC Admin. Assistant) explained the center’s history and program elements that are currently in operation.

·         The committee members toured the facility – inclusive of the oyster hatchery & aquaponics greenhouse where RSU 13 students and faculty engage in learning activities.

·         Since students were not in attendance during the timeframe for this visitation, committee members viewed a DVD that has been produced for HGLC featuring a comprehensive profile of the mid-level alternative educational program that is currently in place.

·         Committee members were made aware of the joint endeavors currently in place consisting of mid-level alternative education, high school biology, and professional development offerings for faculty.  Committee members also learned of the planned expansion of the mid-level alternative program for 2010-2011.

 

 

III.        Additional Curriculum Committee updates: N. Guyer:

 

      Earlier in the meeting Neal Guyer updated committee members regarding two items:

·         The Jules Verne – French world language visiting teacher application has been processed and there is on-going contact between RSU 13 and the French Ministry of Education.  Although these contacts are promising, no confirmation of a placement agreement has been received.  If successful, this teacher will be deployed in former MSAD 5 elementary grades for 2010-2011.

·         Committee members were asked to visit the website containing RSU 13 assessment data and offer any and all comments on how the site might be improved.  The main priority of the website is to be ‘user friendly’ for multiple constituencies.  The website is accessed through the ‘central office’ banner at (www.rsu13.org).

 

IV.       Other/Adjourn.

           

            This meeting was adjourned by Sally Carleton at approximately 5:00 PM.

           

            The Curriculum Committee will next meet on June 1st, 6:30 PM, at the Superintendent’s Office.

 

 

 

Minutes from November 3, 2009

 

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

November 3, 2009

 

Committee Members Present        :           S. Carleton, L. Andrews, G. Emery, J. Sanborn,

                                                                        P. Moran-Wooton

Other Board Members Present      :           R.A. Hohfeld, T.Kilgour

Staff Members Present                   :           T. Martin, L. Taylor, N. Guyer

Others Present                                 :           RSU 13 east side parent

Location                                             :           MacDougal School, Rockland

 

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Chair Carleton at 6:32 PM.

 

II.         Presentation of the MacDougal-University of Maine Literacy Partnership:

           

            Principal Martin and Literacy Coach Lori Taylor welcomed committee members and other attendees to the MacDougal School. A comprehensive review of the MacDougal-UMO Literacy Partnership was presented via a power point presentation and by visiting classrooms within the school to showcase methods and strategies that are being highlighted within Partnership activities.  Highlighted elements within the presentation included:

 

·         The elements of the literacy framework as a comprehensive and consistent approach to teaching & learning that is being shared and supported by all MacDougal faculty.

·         The effectiveness of professional development that is embedded and sustained in the day-to-day routines of the school, and the unique role of the Literacy Coach.

·         The on-going collection and use of formative assessment data to guide instruction and reflect on practice.

·         The unique materials and methods (such as leveled texts, guided reading, writing workshop, etc.) that are core elements with the instructional design.

·         How the practices being utilized within the project supports the RSU 13-wide initiative for the implementation of Response to Intervention (RTI) during this school year.

 

As a summary to this presentation, implications for how the Literacy Partnership will continue to evolve within 2010-2011 and beyond were also profiled.  Principal Martin also shared a copy of a draft K and 1 report card that will be piloted during this academic year – moving to a trimester format that will involve a greater degree of teacher narrative reporting.  This pilot project for trimester reporting will be presented in greater depth at the Curriculum Committee meeting planned for December 1, 2009.

                                   

III.           Update on RSU 13 writing assessment follow-up and curriculum/program audit:

 

Neal Guyer distributed samples of 4th grade student writing that had been generated and scored within the recent RSU 13-wide writing assessment process in order to demonstrate the steps involved in the assessment task for students and the scoring process for faculty.  Additionally, samples of the tools being utilized to collected and process this assessment data were also shared. Data will be evaluated within proficiency levels by grade, individual schools, and gender differences relative to achievement, and will be summarized within a fall 2009 report for the RSU.

This writing assessment process will be replicated in the spring of 2010.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IV.       Update on a proposal for adding an additional early release day to the RSU 13 Calendar in December of 2009:

 

            Neal Guyer previewed a request that will be coming before the full RSU 13 School Board on November 5, 2009 to consider adding an early release day for professional development purposes to the December 2009 School Calendar.  It was explained that this will allow for necessary faculty training to support the beginning of pilot Response to Intervention (RTI) screening and Tier I interventions for identified students beginning in January 2010 for grades 4-8 in west side schools, and in grades K-8 in east side schools. An RTI status presentation is also planned for this full School Board meeting.

                       

V.        Agenda items for next meeting:

 

·         Review of draft – Curriculum Development & Adoption Policy

·         Update on MacDougal Pilot for moving to trimester reporting.

·         Report on current status of RSU-wide World Language Programs & planning considerations for 2010-2011.

·         GT Program development update.

 

Vl.       Date, time, and location of the next meeting:

 

            The RSU 13 Curriculum Committee will meet again on Tuesday, December 1, 2009, at 6:30 PM.

 

VII.      Other/Adjourn.

 

            Committee members noted that they appreciated the opportunity to convene within the MacDougal School – making the evening’s presentation much more meaningful. Committee members expressed an interest in taking advantage of opportunities to hold future meetings within the schools – particularly for similar topic-specific presentations.

           

            This meeting was adjourned by Chair Carleton at approximately 8:08 PM.

 

 

 

Minutes of June 15, 2010

 

 

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

June 15, 2010

 

Committee Members Present         :           S. Carleton, L. Andrews, G. Emery, P. Moran-Wotton, Other Board Members Present     :           R.A. Hohfeld

Staff Members Present                    :           N. Guyer, T. Martin

Others Present                                  :           none

Location                                             :           Superintendent’s Office – McLain Building

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Sally Carleton, Curriculum Committee Chair, at 6:30 PM.

 

II.          Update on MacDougal School/UMO Literacy Partnership. T. Martin:

           

            Principal Martin provided a comprehensive review of the initial year of partnership activities and accomplishments inclusive of work artifacts and teacher impressions, achievement data, and parent/teacher survey results.  In total, the partnership is seen to be having a significant, positive impact in terms of improved teaching and learning. The partnership will be expanded to include a wider group of teachers as this project enters its second year within the new configuration at South School.  Highlighted within anticipated activities for the coming school year are plans to:

 

·         Confirm the position of a second ‘literacy coach’ – this role will be fulfilled by Principal Martin.

·         Continue the development of a more narrative-based report card with continuing input from faculty and parents.

·         Involve teachers in graduate level courses offered on-site as a core component of partnership activities and continuing professional development. 

           

            Principal Martin shared his vision that South School will become a ‘laboratory school’ for the            MidCoast region, where best practice literacy models will be showcased and developed in     continued collaboration with the University of Maine.

      

III.         Overview of 2009-2010 RSU 13 Writing Assessment Results.  N. Guyer:

           

            Due to the lack of full reporting by schools to date, specific outcome data could only be shared for grades K, 1, & 9.  Neal Guyer review these results and walked committee members through the different reporting elements that will be included in the finalized report.  It is anticipated that all school results will be available within the week of June 14th, and that finalized results will be available on the district’s assessment website location before the end of June. It was also noted that work plans for the summer include:

 

·         Auditing faculty feedback and suggestions regarding the K-8 process, making necessary modification and selecting assessment prompts for 2010-2011.

·         A 8-12 working group will expand the high school writing assessment system, create a unified assessment rubric that will be instituted across the RSU, and align writing standards with the newly adopted Common Core Literacy Standards.

             

 

 

(over please)

 

 

 

                       

IV.        Consideration/discussion of the K-8 administrative team’s plan for piloting a trimester schedule across the RSU for 2010-2011.  N. Guyer

 

            Neal Guyer distributed a draft schedule outlining the K-8 Administrative Team’s plans to pilot a trimester assessment and reporting system for grade K-8 in 2010-2011. It was explained that the major intent is to better coordinate the assessments utilized to guide instruction, and increase the amount of instructional time between reporting periods.  The trimester system also aligns more productively with the flow and sequencing of the Response to Intervention (RTI) model that will be expanded across these grades next year.

 

            Within this plan, trimesters would run as follows:

 

            1st trimester       08/30/10 – 11/23/10       - Report Cards Issued December 10th

            2nd trimester       11/29/10 – 03/04/11       - Report Cards Issued March 18th

            3rd trimester       03/07/10 – 06/15/11       - Report Cards Issued June 15th

 

            Committee members endorsed this pilot plan and will receive updates regarding this throughout next year.

 

V.        Other/Adjourn:          

 

            Loren Andrews shared a power point presentation that he created that begins to outline a comprehensive vision for curriculum and programs for RSU 13.  Committee members viewed this brief presentation that highlighted the importance of literacy initiatives, expeditionary learning, and rigorous secondary and post secondary preparation.  Loren suggested the continued development of this presentation with expanded administrative and board participation – in hopes that it could become a communication tool for community presentations and discussions regarding the vision and goals for RSU 13. The committee strongly supported this effort and requested that this material be shared with the administrative team for their input and suggestions.  Further work on this will occur at administrative team sessions during the summer and at a planned joint administrative team and school board workshop also planned for the summer.

 

            Committee members agreed that the next meeting of the Curriculum Committee will occur in September of 2010.

 

            This meeting was adjourned by Sally Carleton at approximately 8:15 PM.

 

 

 

Minutes of Meeting of October 6, 2009

 

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

SCHOOL BOARD

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

October 6, 2009

 

Committee Members Present        :           S. Carleton, L. Andrews, G. Emery, J. Sanborn,

                                                                        P. Moran-Wooton

Other Board Members Present      :           R.A. Hohfeld, J. Kalloch

Staff Members Present                   :           J. Lucarelli, T. Wright, N. Guyer

Others Present                                 :           RSU 13 east side parent

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Chair Carleton at 6:30 PM.

 

II.         Summary of recommendations from the ad hoc GT Committee – P. Moran-Wooton: 

 

Patricia Moran-Wooton provided the following summary and discussed the bulleted recommendations:

 

“The ad hoc committee process started with a meeting which allowed the public to speak about their experiences and recommendations. Programs in the two schools start at a similar age, and serve both math and language arts. 

 

We found concerns in the middle school years, in the East side middle school where the upper grades heavily use technology for teaching math.

 

At the high school level the west side serves one student, and east side has no program.

 

The Committee would like to see:

·         A consistent, clearly stated procedure, including which grades students test into the program - when retested, what tests

·         Independent Learning Plan for GT students, to involve student, parent and school, and bi-annual check of plan.

·         Parent involvement: have parents aware of the program and who is the contact person.

·         GT - consider expansion from just Math and Language Arts – what about the Arts and Science?

·         Develop an Independent Study program, perhaps with presentation to panel at end of work

·         Resource list for students of available apprenticeships, Mentors, online high school and college courses and other enrichment opportunities

·         Procedure for passing students from middle school to high school to continue their GT work

·         GT training for teachers at the high school level, perhaps an inservice day used for differentiation, for curriculum compacting

·         Teachers encourage at the high school level to get GT certified

·         Pursue State reimbursement requirements with an determination to try to receive reimbursement

·         Poll of current and past students and parents”

 

Dr. Tom Wright provided a brief update on the progress of GT program development efforts and distributed and explained a draft document that is being piloted as a Student Learning Plan.

 

The committee thanked the ad hoc committee for its efforts in bringing recommendations forward.

Members were also reminded that Dr. Wright will provide an additional GT update at the December meeting.

           

III.           Review and discussion of DRAFT policy – Curriculum Development & Adoption - N. Guyer:

 

A draft of the policy was reviewed and discussed.  At the request of Dr. Lucarelli, the policy was

held over for further consideration.

 

IV.       Distribution and review of the RSU 13 Professional development/Assessment Calendar – N. Guyer:

           

            Copies of the calendar were distributed to committee members and reviewed in detail.  Highlighted were the assessment periods that will occur within the school year and the professional development steps that have been built into the calendar to support the Response To Intervention (RTI) process for grades K-8.  It was explained that the calendar is updated monthly and will serve to document all major professional development and assessment initiatives that occur throughout the year.

 

V.        Agenda items for next meeting:

 

·         2nd review of draft – Curriculum Development & Adoption Policy

·         Update on curriculum audit & writing assessment follow-up

·         Review Maine Literacy Partnership Project – MacDougal School

 

 

Vl.       Date, time, and location of the next meeting:

 

            The RSU 13 Curriculum Committee will meet again on Tuesday, November 3, 2009, at 6:30 PM.

            Consideration will be given to holding the November meeting at the MacDougal School.

 

VII.      Other/Adjourn.

           

            This meeting was adjourned by Chair Carleton at approximately 8:15 PM.

 

 

 

Minutes of September 1, 2009

 

 

REGIONAL SCHOOL UNIT NO. 13

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES

September 1, 2009

 

Committee Members Present        :           S. Carleton, L. Andrews, G. Emery, J. Sanborn,

                                                                        P. Moran-Wooton

Other Board Members Present      :           R.A. Hohfeld, J. Doubleday

Staff Members Present                   :           J. Lucarelli, T. Wright, N. Guyer

Others Present                                 :           RSU 13 east side parent

 

I.              Call to order:

 

This meeting was called to order by Chair Carleton at 6:30 PM.

 

II.         Update on GT program development – T. Wright.

 

            Dr. Tom Wright, RSU 13 Special Project Coordinator, shared his emerging perceptions regarding the status of GT programming for both the east & west sides of the district noting that a general lack of structure was evident. While many worthwhile and student-centered endeavors are being implemented, Dr. Wright clarified that he intends to work with the existing faculty to:

 

·         Clarify the intent of the program.

·         Unify the criteria for eligibility district-wide.

·         Implement measures and tools for evaluating program effectiveness.

·         Shift the focus of planning and implementation to personalized learning plans.

·         Institute procedures and norms that directly involve the students in the creation of their learning plans.

·         Promote the role of teacher as a learning facilitator rather than a provider of service.

·         Explore and recommend options for extending GT programming & services to 9-12.

 

The Committee requested that a report be given at the October 2009 meeting to highlight recommendations forthcoming from the ad hoc GT Committee that recently completed its work.

 

Dr, Wright will report back to the Committee at the December 2009 meeting regarding GT program development progress.

           

III.           Review and discussion of sample policies – Curriculum Development & Adoption - N. Guyer

 

The committee reviewed and discussed three sample policies guiding Curriculum Development & Adoption – the former east and west side documents, and a sample policy from MSAD 15. The committee members agreed that the general language with the east and west side document should be retained without specifying a specific timetable or schedule for regular curriculum review. Additionally it was agreed that policy language should be included that would stipulate that when new initiatives or major program changes are pursued, that any such proposals for Curriculum Committee and ultimately BOD consideration should include:

 

·         Data and information regarding the factors suggesting the need for change.

·         The intended outcomes of the change that will benefit or enhance teaching and learning.

·         The data and metrics that will be utilized to track and assess progress towards intended outcomes.

 

N. Guyer and Supt. Lucarelli will prepare a draft policy document to be reviewed at the October 2009 meeting:

 

 

 

IV.       Update on curriculum initiatives – N. Guyer

 

N. Guyer shared documents and provided an overview of the district-wide writing assessment that will be conducted for grade K-9 in late September, culminating in joint east and west side  teacher workshop activities on October 9, 2009.

 

V.        Agenda items for next meeting:

 

·         Report out of recommendation from the ad hoc GT Committee – P. Moran-Wooton

·         Consideration of draft policy for Curriculum Development & Adoption – J. Lucarelli & N. Guyer

·         Review of RSU 13 Professional Development & Assessment Calendar

 

Vl.       Date, time, and location of the next meeting:

 

            The RSU 13 Curriculum Committee will meet again on Tuesday, October 6, 2009, at 6:30 PM.

            Meeting location will be the Superintendent’s Office at the McLain Building.

 

VII.      Other/Adjourn.

           

            This meeting was adjourned by Chair Carleton at approximately 8:07 PM.

 

 

Finance & Facilities - 3rd Tuesday, 5:00pm, McLain Building

Committee Members

 

Agenda for 02/09/10

Agenda RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Feb 9th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Old Business

 

·       Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School

·       Facility Audit Update – Progress

·       State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

·       Bus Garage Move Update

·       Progress on Many Flags Application.

·       Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

New Business

 

·       Appears there is a $3,000,000 shortfall instead of $2,500,000. And the state is trying to reduce subsidy for Medicaid reimbursement we receive, which is another $200,000.

·       MacDougal School – Usage Options

·       Committee Goals – Update

·       Discuss double bus runs for next year.

·       Maintenance Projects for next year’s budget

 

Next meeting: Tuesday Mar 9th 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

Agenda for 9/8/09

 

Agenda - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Sept 8th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Judy Lucarelli

 Jim Kalloch

 

 John Spear

 George Emery

 

 Scott Hall

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT: xx:xx pm

 Todd Johnston

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

Review and make changes to this agenda.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Goal for 2010 – Facilities Audit

Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software

Discuss what are the roles, responsibilities and objectives for the F&T committee this coming year. Any changes?

Update bus parking at RDHS

Update status of two new buses that are on order.

Update replacement of bus involved in accident last April

Review summer maintenance projects/activities

Update MacDougal School boiler and other safety improvements.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q Next meeting: Tuesday Oct 13th

 

 

 

 

Date, Topic TBD

q Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for April 13, 2010

 

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
April 13th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:xx pm

Time OUT: x:xx pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

Old Business

 

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School
    2 - Zone fans were sent with were wrong for the mounting brackets we have.  We are seeing if we can make due.  2 – Roof fans seem to be missing in transit. 

 

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

Hope is by the May Meeting we will have a status report and by the May meeting Scott, Peter and Judy will have a draft. 

 

 

  • Bus Radio License Status


  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software and use of double bus runs next year.

 

  • MacDougal School – Progress if any.

 

  • RDHS – Electrical Issues

 

  • Changes in Budgeted Maint. Projects; if any

 

  • Committee Goals – Update

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

New Business

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday May 11th 

 

 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda for December 8, 2009

 

Agenda - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Dec 8th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear ???

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT:  x:xx pm

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

q  Old Business

 

q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings. John has located 10 studies and will be soliciting input from principals concerning facility shortcomings from a programmatic perspective.  With all that is going on his is not as far along as he would like to have been.

q  Progress on Bus Garage Lease.

q  Progress on availability of the Transportation Software.

 

 

 

q  New Business

q  Discuss setting up a Fuel Cost Stabilization fund for this coming year’s budget.

q  Update on where we stand with the Construction Applications.

q  Progress on Many Flags Application.

q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 



 

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Jan 12th

 

Tentative:  Discuss setting up a Fuel Cost Stabilization fund for this coming year’s budget.

Update on where we stand with the Construction Appl

Update on where we stand with the facilities Audit.

Progress on Many Flags Application.

Progress on Buss Garage Lease.

Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

q  Tentative:

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

q   

 

 

Agenda for January 12, 2010

 

DRAFT - Agenda RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Jan 12th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

Time IN: 5:xx pm

Time OUT:  6:xx pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

Old Business

 

q  Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School


q  MacDougal School Update. What about Broad Reach tenent?


q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Contracted with John Spear for assistance with the Facility Audit and Construction Applications.   


q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

q  Progress on Bus Garage Move


q  Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

 

q  Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

Judy has talked with Jim Rier at DHS and requested that we have the software in February.  He agrees and Judy will pursue

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

New Business

q  Report on what the High School Study Group has for findings and recommendations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday Feb 08th 

 



 

 

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School

  • MacDougal School Update.

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress

  • State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

 

  • Bus Garage Move Update

  • Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

.

 

 

Agenda for June 8, 2010

 

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
June 8th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:xx pm

Time OUT: x:xx pm

 Steve Dyer

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

Old Business

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School. Are the two Transfer Fans in?

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules.  Due June 15th

 

  • Bus Radio License Status - Update
    Last we heard we had passed the paper hurdles. However, due to backlogs in could be another 2-3 weeks before we get the licenses, 

 

  • Update on the Transportation Software

  • MacDougal School – Progress/Update.

 

  • Electrical Issues - We will be reviewing the alarms systems in Gilford Butler and Owls Head schools.

 

  • Committee Goals – Update We need to define what it is we want to report to the board for our goals for next year. 

  • Year End Report to the Board

 

 

 

 

 

New Business

 

·         Do we need a July or Aug Meeting?

·         Use of double bus runs next year and the effect on School Start times and the communication of same (Board and Public)

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday ????

 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Agenda for March 9, 2010

 

Agenda RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Feb 9th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

Time IN: 5:xx pm

Time OUT:  6:xx pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

Old Business

 

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress

  • State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

 

  • Bus Garage Move Update

  • Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

New Business

 

 

  • Appears there is a $3,000,000 shortfall instead of $2,500,000.  And the state is trying to reduce subsidy for Medicaid reimbursement we receive, which is another $200,000.

  • MacDougal School – Usage Options

 

  • Committee Goals – Update

 

  • Discuss double bus runs for next year.

 

  • Maintenance Projects for next year’s budget

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday Mar 9th 

 



 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

.

 

 

Agenda for November 10, 2009

Agenda - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Nov 10th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfield

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT:  X:xx pm

 Tess Kilgour,

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

New Business

 

q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings

q  Update on repairs and new boiler at MacDougal. New boiler is operational. Electrical work complete. Still need to get approved BGS roof shovel program in place.

q  Update Bus Parking – Last time it was suggested we go slower and review our options more closely. An Option: May have a proposal for space on Eltee Circle in Thomaston (off  Dexter Street Ext in Thomaston) to review and discuss.

 

q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

 

q  Square Footage of RDMS Reported in Error – Last Spring F & T was given and reported the square footage of the RDMS at 128,000 square feet, when in fact it has now been verified that it is actually 53,377. While this has not resulted in any decisions being affected it did lead to under reporting the cost per square foot for this building back in April.

Bus Lease/Purchase for 2010/2011 the forms need to be in to the state by 11/25. Judy suggests that we may want to submit multiple requests to keep open possibility to procure, with state assistance, enough buses to implement “single runs” on a RSU wide basis. We can always withdraw applications at a later date, but can’t submit additional requests after the deadline.

 

 

 

 

OLD Business

q  Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software. Still on track for between Christmas vacation and February.

 

q  Fuel Tanks – Four tanks on the east side failed inspection.  One will have a temp fix with a boot over certain pipes (approx $2k). One has to have all the piping replaced (Building to tank approx $10k) and the other two will need to be budgeted this coming year.  Good news is none of the tanks are leaking. 

q  Discuss proposal for a memorial Skate Park at Guilford Butler from South Thomaston parent. We asked for a simple site plan (Plot the estimated 60 by 70 foot square on one of our site maps). The parents and select person will follow up on insurance, plot plan, and a review by Scott Hall to make sure it will not interfere with any school operations (Wells, septic, plowing, etc.)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If available and ready

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Dec 8th

 

 

Topic TBD

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Agenda for October 13, 2009

Agenda - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Oct 13th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfield

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:00 pm

Time OUT:  pm

 Paul Dostie

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

 

New Business

 

q  Discuss proposal for Skate Park from South Thomaston parent.

q  Update on Repairs at MacDougal

 

 

 

 

OLD Business

q  Goal for 2010 – Facilities Audit - Judy, Scott, and John to get together to discuss what it is we want out of the Facilities Audit and what activities need to be addressed to get there.

q  Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software

Latest word is the software is available for piloting.  We did not volunteer.  I am hoping it will be available for staff to set it up over Xmas vacation.  But it may be Feb.

 

q  Update bus parking RDHS – Last time it was suggested  we go slower and review our options more closely rather than push to move right now.  Need to re-consider Traffic Patterns, Snow Removal, Radios vs Phones and obtain any permits needed and analyze costs. We are exploring other bus yard options.  Assuming we do not have the cash to take care of this during 09-10 at this point.

 

q  Update status of two new buses. Buses have been delivered.  Financing will be going to Finance Cmt on the 8th, and the Board on the 5th.

 

q  Update replacement of bus involved in accident last April along with the radio replacement.

q  Update on Underground Fuel Tanks, Water main valve, Sprinkler, and The Food Service Truck. - We are working on RDHS oil tanks.  Water main went OK at MacDougal. Sprinkler being reconnected. And I think we found a FS vehicle used.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Nov 10th

 

 

Topic TBD – Could be start talks about construction possibilities.

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

Goals of the Facilities and Transportation Committee

 

Facility Planning - Physical Plant; Building, Structures

Perform a Facilities Audit of all 11 buildings including an evaluation of staffing patterns.  This is the basis / base line for a Facilities Capital Plan for the RSU.   As we proceed we will also propose and Review Cost Savings Ideas - projects and Ideas.

 

  

Transportation

Implement State Transportation Software as soon as practical.  Included in this is defining a working solution for:

 

(i)   Determining the best start and end times for schools as it relates to transportation and proposed curriculum.

(ii)  Evaluate staffing patterns

(iii) Determine Single vs. Double Bus Runs

(iv)  Most Efficient Bus Routes taking into consideration:

a)    Student Densities

b)    Number of buses needed (including bus size)

c)    Evaluating using Van or wagons when deemed appropriate

d)    Determining a walking plan

e)    Determine number and location of clustered bus stops

f)    Determine efficient number of students per bus run

 

MacDougal Boiler

MacDougal School Improvements- Worksheet    
               
Boiler   112,651          
Fire Alarm   11,515          
  Subtotal   124,166        
Exit/Emergency Lights   4,000          
Electrical Upgrades   21,000          
Temp Hot Water   2,000          
Engineer, General Report   8,891          
Engineer, Boiler RFP   1,600          
Asbestos Tests/Removal   411          
Replumbing Dishwasher   ????          
Other   ????          
  Subtotal   37,902        
  Total     162,068      
  Less Budget/Tubes/Condensate    -19,000        
  Contingency Need   18,902        
               
               
               
               
  Lease Purchase 124,349- 2yrs@ 3.25%   Total Prin Int    
  Year 1 & Contingency Need   63,170 63,170 0    
  Year 2   63,170 61,180 1,990    
  Total   126,340 124,350 1,990    
               
               
  Total 09/10 Contingency Need    82,072        
               
               
  Note: Some numbers are still estimates            
               
               

Minutes for April 13, 2010

 

RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
April 13th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT: 6:22 pm

 Brian Messing

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

Old Business

  • Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School
    2 - Zone fans were sent with were wrong for the mounting brackets we have.  We are seeing if we can make due.  2 – Roof fans seem to be missing in transit. 

 

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress and State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

Hope is by the May Meeting we will have a status report and by the May meeting Scott, Peter and Judy will have a draft. 

 

 

  • Bus Radio License Status

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software and use of double bus runs next year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • MacDougal School – Progress if any.

 

  • RDHS – Electrical Issues

 

 

 

 

 

  • Changes in Budgeted Maint. Projects; if any

 

  • Committee Goals – Update

 

 

2 Roof fans are in and working.  The two zone fans are no longer being manufactured.  As such we are looking for one to fit our existing hardware.  More detail to follow.

 

 

Will have a first draft for the May Meeting. There will be 4 applications (GVHS, Gilford, Owls Head, and RDHS) that are due to the state by June 15th.

 

Scott and Todd are working with Linwood Lanthrop of the Knox county Emergency Mgt office. He is helping us merge our SAD 5 expired license with our current working SAD 50 license applications which then needs to go to the FCC. We don’t foresee any issues.  However, by the year end 2012 all Broadband radios, which is what we have, need to modified or replaced to narrow bands; including the license with the FCC. Many radios that are newer than 7 years maybe narrowband capable and will only need to be reprogrammed, not replaced.  For those that need replacing we may be able to ride coat tails on the Knox County Emergency Management Agency and State volume purchasing agreements. More to follow.

 

We have started just in time!  Bruce Johnson on networking, Joseph Knight on data entry Todd Johnston and Scott Hall have started the ten week training.  Each has expressed concern regarding implementing this in any short time period.  Besides the 10 weeks of training “all” student addresses must be entered/converted to physical not mailing addresses. Ergo the secretaries for each building must update or correct faulty physical addresses in the Infinite Campus (IC) software. Thereafter, Joseph will then import these addresses into the transportation system as soon as possible.(No small task).  In the mean time we are tidying up the double bus runs for both sides. We will need to establish both walker zones (policy) and bus stops (Mgt) by this fall.

 

 

NNTR (Nothing New to Report)

 

60-70% of the issues have been mitigated by replacing those faulty configurations with one surge protector per extension cord.  Our electrician is looking at the rest of the issues. 

 

 

NNTR

 

 

At some point we will want to define what it is we want to report to the board at year end. 

 

 

New Business

 

·         Bus Inspections:  25 out of our 28 buses were inspected by the State.  All but one passed inspection with that one being fixed that same day.  The three remaining buses that were on duty that day will be scheduled for inspection.

·         RSU13 State Safety Inspection:  We will mail by the April 21st our final report on fixes that will be done / due by 4/15.  It will be close but we expect to have it all done on time.

 

 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday May 11th 

 

 

 

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes for January 12, 2010

 

Minutes RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Jan 12th, 2010 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 Scott Hall

 Facility Audit Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Todd Johnston

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Peter Roche

Time IN: 5:25 pm

Time OUT:  6:35 pm

 

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

Old Business

 

q  Add Air Quality at Thomaston Grammar School


 

 

 

q  MacDougal School Update. What about Broad Reach tenent?


q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Contracted with John Spear for assistance with the Facility Audit and Construction Applications.   


q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

q  Progress on Bus Garage Move


q  Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

 

q  Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

Judy has talked with Jim Rier at DHS and requested that we have the software in February.  He agrees and Judy will pursue

 

 

 

Thayer Corp. – Found two Roof fan motors that need to be replaced. They also discovered 7 transfer fans not covered by a contract.  We plan on doing the two roof motors and 3 of the 7 transfer plans now and budget for the rest.

 

 

After the Rockland Voting Judy will meet again with them to discuss options – March


John has been tied up with the Many Flags and bargaining  as such NNTR on the construction applications and
Facility Audit.

 

 

 

 

 

Moving in, working on the Bus Plugs and Base Radio licensing from SAD’s to RSU13.

All are working on meeting the deadlines for the application due in February. 

NNTR (Nothing new to report)

 

 

New Business

q  Report on what the High School Study Group has for findings and recommendations.

 

 

 

Now that we have one location for the buses it is imperative we get the State Transportation software working (Feb) so as to run possible plans. 

 

 

 

Next meeting:  Tuesday Feb 9th 

 



 

 

 

  • Facility Audit Update – Progress

  • State School Building Construction Application schedules - Progress

 

  • Bus Garage Move Update

  • Progress on Many Flags Application.

 

  • Progress on availability of the Transportation Software

 

  • Maintenance Projects for 2010/2011

 

Comments, Questions, Concerns, Problems, or Praise

 

 

 

.

 

 

Minutes for November 10, 2009

 

 Minutes - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Nov 10th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfeld

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT:  7:04 pm

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

New Business

 

q  Facility Audit Update – A goal for 2010 - Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings

q  Update on repairs and new boiler at MacDougal. New boiler is operational. Electrical work complete. Still need to get approved Bureau of General Services (BGS) roof shovel program in place.

q  Update Bus Parking – Last time it was suggested we go slower and review our options more closely. An Option: May have a proposal for space on Eltee Circle in Thomaston (off  Dexter Street Ext in Thomaston) to review and discuss.




 

 




q  State School Building Construction Application schedules. Integrated, Consolidated, 9-16 Educational Facilities   application form (Many Flags) is out and completed applications are due on or before 3/15/2010. New Construction/Renovation for Major Capital Improvement Program application form is scheduled to be out 11/15/2009 and completed applications are due on or before 6/15/2010. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

q  Square Footage of RDMS Reported in Error – Last Spring F & T was given and reported the square footage of the RDMS at 128,000 square feet, when in fact it has now been verified that it is actually 53,377. While this has not resulted in any decisions being affected it did lead to under reporting the cost per square foot for this building back in April.

q  Bus Lease/Purchase for 2010/2011 the forms need to be in to the state by 11/25. Judy suggests that we may want to submit multiple requests to keep open possibility to procure, with state assistance, enough buses to implement “single runs” on a RSU wide basis. We can always withdraw applications at a later date, but can’t submit additional requests after the deadline.