Minutes for October 13, 2009

Minutes - RSU13 Facilities and Transportation (F&T)
Oct 13th, 2009 – 5:30 pm McLain Building

 

Committee

Committee

Committee/Visitors

 Greg Hamlin - Chair

 Jamie Doubleday

 John Spear

 Jim Kalloch

 Ruth Anne Hohfield

 Scott Hall

 George Emery

 Judy Lucarelli

 Todd Johnston

Time IN: 5:30 pm

Time OUT:  7:15 pm

 Tess Kilgour,

Discussion

Results / Follow Up

 

q  Review and Make Changes to this Agenda.

 

 

None

New Business

 

q  Discuss proposal for a memorial Skate Park from South Thomaston parent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



q  Update on Repairs at MacDougal Boiler

 

 

Parents and Select Person (Penny Alley) of South Thomaston presented.  General feeling was this was a good use of the land. Funding would be via the town and private donations.  Since time is on everyone side we asked for a simple site plan (Plot the estimated 60 by 70 foot square on one of our site maps). The Parents and Select Person will follow up on insurance, plot plan, and a review by Scott Hall to make sure it will not interfere with any school operations (Wells, septic, plowing, etc.)

 

 

Even with a slow start the repairs at MacDougal are ahead of schedule. Have discovered some issues with where the chimney goes through the roof but nothing major.

 

OLD Business

q  Goal for 2010 – Facilities Audit - Judy, Scott, and John to get together to discuss what it is we want out of the Facilities Audit and what activities need to be addressed to get there.

 

 



q  Goal for 2010 – Implement State Transportation Software

Latest word is the software is available for piloting.  We did not volunteer.  I am hoping it will be available for staff to set it up over Christmas vacation.  But it may be Feb.

 

 

q  Update bus parking RDHS – Last time it was suggested  we go slower and review our options more closely rather than push to move right now.  Need to re-consider Traffic Patterns, Snow Removal, Radios vs Phones and obtain any permits needed and analyze costs. We are exploring other bus yard options.  Assuming we do not have the cash to take care of this during 09-10 at this point.

 

q  Update status of two new buses. Buses have been delivered.  Financing will be going to Finance Cmt on the 8th, and the Board on the 5th.

 

 

 

 

q  Update replacement of bus involved in accident last April along with the radio replacement.



q  Update on Underground Fuel Tanks, Water main valve, Sprinkler, and The Food Service Truck. - We are working on RDHS oil tanks.  Water main went OK at MacDougal. Sprinkler being reconnected. And I think we found a FS vehicle used.

 

 

Discussed our expectations.  Consensus was consolidating the studies we have would be a good start point. Then compare and contrast the buildings / studies with an eye towards finding issues and identifying opportunities.  This would be a work in progress in that as we go we will adjust our activities based on the findings. 

 

 

Still on track for between Christmas vacation and February.

 

 

 

 

No decision yet.  Folks still want a one bus location / solution.  Just what and where that would be needs more study. 

 

 

 

 

 

Both buses are operational with one on the east and one on the west side.  Now it’s critical we get the 3 year lease approved within 60 days so as not to lose the lease purchase option.

 

 

 

The replacement bus in now in service.  We did get the radio out of the old bus without incident.

 

 

In general all is going well considering all that was found.  Alarms are working, electrical panel is in,  emergency lights are in, we disabled a range top, and drafts / vents are being worked to get better ventilation in the short term.

 

Fuel Tanks – Four tanks on the east side failed inspection.  One will have a temp fix with a boot over certain pipes (approx $2k). One has to have all the piping replaced (Building to tank approx $10k) and the other two will need to be budgeted this coming year.  Good news is none of the tanks are leaking. 

 

Water Main – Replacement went well.

 

Sprinkler in the basement at McLain was reconnected.

 

Food Service Truck was replaced with a used 2002 U-Haul truck with about 64k miles on it for a price of $13.5k  Everyone involved is happy with the solution.

 

 

q  Next meeting:  Tuesday Nov 10th

 

 

Topic TBD – Skate Board Park, Could be start talks about construction possibilities.

 

q  Comments, Questions, Concerns,
Problems, or Praise